First steps in home automation

2024-08-07 20:21:32 - last edited 2024-08-09 03:39:57
Model: Tapo S210   Tapo L530E   Tapo P110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I am taking my first steps in home automation, I have for some time several TAPO smart plugs and they are great and I want to stay in the ecosystem.

Now I want to get into light bulbs, I have purchased the L530E not so much for the RGB but for its advantage of switching from warm to cool, as well as setting the brightness. As these bulbs to work properly must always be turned on the electrical circuit, I thought about buying the S210 smart switches to turn on and off the lights.

I have the following doubt, with these switches apart from turning on and off, can you for example automate that if you make a long press, change the brightness of the bulb? In my market (Spain) the S200D model is not available.

Would it be more interesting if the smart plug could control normal light bulbs?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:First steps in home automation-Solution
2024-08-08 10:58:22 - last edited 2024-08-09 03:39:47

@SrOPO 

Tapo S210 doesn't support long press. You may consider the Tapo S200B button if it is available. The smart button supports four physical actions (as automation triggers): single tap, double tap, rotate clockwise, and rotate counterclockwise.

If you want to use the smart plug as a simple physical (automation) trigger, similar to the smart button, that's not a problem. The on/off status changes of the smart plug can be set as an automation trigger, whether controlled by the power button or the Tapo App, and regardless of whether or not a device is connected to the plug.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:First steps in home automation-Solution
2024-08-08 10:58:22 - last edited 2024-08-09 03:39:47

@SrOPO 

Tapo S210 doesn't support long press. You may consider the Tapo S200B button if it is available. The smart button supports four physical actions (as automation triggers): single tap, double tap, rotate clockwise, and rotate counterclockwise.

If you want to use the smart plug as a simple physical (automation) trigger, similar to the smart button, that's not a problem. The on/off status changes of the smart plug can be set as an automation trigger, whether controlled by the power button or the Tapo App, and regardless of whether or not a device is connected to the plug.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:First steps in home automation
2024-08-08 15:36:23

@Wayne-TP In that case I will buy the S200B to have it as a support and on the wall I will put the S210, another doubt that I have found or has arisen today, my electrical installation if it has neutral, what are the advantages of not having neutral cable? And another question if it is connected to the current (as is the S210/220) Why do they need to have batteries, they would not take the current from the network?

Thanks for your help and patience

Options
2024-08-09 03:39:27

@SrOPO 

Generally speaking, the neutral line of the smart switch is used to power the switch itself, keeping it online all the time to achieve the smart function. 

The battery in the Tapo S210 acts as the neutral line to power the smart switch. This type of switch is suitable for environments where there is no neutral line in the circuit.

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@SrOPO 

First steps in home automation can be exciting and transformative for your living space. To get started, you'll want to focus on a few key areas:

1. Smart Lighting: Begin with smart lighting solutions that allow you to control lights remotely via an app or voice assistant. Brands like Philips Hue and Wipro offer great options.

2. Smart Switches: Installing Smart Switches is another foundational step. These switches can be controlled remotely and can automate your lighting schedules.

3. Smart Plugs: Smart plugs are a simple way to make your existing devices smart. You can control appliances like coffee makers, fans, or even your TV through your smartphone.

4. Home Automation Hub: To centralize control, consider investing in a home automation hub like Amazon Echo or Google Nest. This hub will allow you to manage all your smart devices from one place.

5. Security Systems: Finally, enhancing your home with smart security systems like smart cameras, doorbells, and motion sensors can provide peace of mind and add an extra layer of security.

By starting with these basics, you’ll be well on your way to creating a smart home that offers convenience, energy savings, and improved security.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 190

Replies: 4

Related Articles