Tapo Smart Bulb Frequent Settings Reset
Tapo Smart Bulb Frequent Settings Reset
2024-08-16 12:18:12 - last edited a week ago
Tags: #Installation #power issue
Model: Tapo L530B  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.9 Build 240524 Rel.14 44922

Hi all,

I'm having an ongoing issue with my Tapo Smart Bulb, and it's getting really frustrating. Every time there's a power cut in my area (which happens quite often), the bulb ends up resetting itself. When the power comes back, it sometimes toggles on and off a few times, which seems to trigger the "Reset" action on the bulb.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if it happened occasionally, but it's almost every other day! I have other smart bulbs from different brands, and none of them have this problem, so I'm pretty sure it's an issue specific to the Tapo bulb.

The most annoying part is that I have to completely reset the bulb and re-add it to the app to get it working again. This is really time-consuming and honestly, a pain to deal with regularly.

I think a firmware update could fix this. I'm hoping Tapo Support sees this and can look into it because it’s really affecting my experience with their product.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo Smart Bulb Frequent Settings Reset-Solution
2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago

@SubM 

When the light bulb is offline, is the default WiFi used for configuration not appear?Does it take a manual reset to become visible? If so, the lightbulb has not been reset.

Please check if the device appears online in the app when your phone is connected to the local Wi-Fi network. Additionally, you can check the router's Wi-Fi list to see if the bulb is still connected. 

You may refer to this article for troubleshooting suggestions. Cannot use the Tapo/Kasa app to control my smart devices

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Tapo Smart Bulb Frequent Settings Reset
2024-08-20 04:02:47

@SubM 

To reset a Tapo smart light bulb, you need to turn it off and on at least three times (soft reset). If your electrical circuit experiences such unstable fluctuations before power is restored stably, causing the light bulb to reset, this device may not be suitable for your environment.

Furthermore, devices are very susceptible to damage in this environment, whether it's a Tapo device or an electronic device from another brand. You may consider installing a UPS or voltage regulator in your circuit, especially a power protection device with a power-off recovery delay feature, to ensure voltage fluctuations do not damage your home electronics.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-08-20 11:47:47

@Wayne-TP 

I think there might be a misunderstanding.

The electricity in my area typically only flashes or toggles on/off once, and if it happens again, it's usually after several minutes (at least 5-10 minutes). The on/off toggle doesn't occur in quick succession like it would during a soft reset (which involves turning the device on and off within a few seconds).

My assumption is that this single on/off toggle, even with the minutes between them, is causing the LED to reset. Now this is only my assumption, I guess I have seen the LED reset without such a sequence of events also.

I’m not sure why this is happening, as I use multiple other LED lamps from brands like Wipro and Panasonic, and none of them have this annoying issue.

I hope I was able to explain it properly.

Options
2024-08-21 07:25:38 - last edited 2024-08-21 07:25:53

You may try to reproduce the problem yourself, check if the same thing happens. For example, install the bulb to a table lamp, unplug it for a while then plug it back, see if the bulb resets in this case.

The unstable fluctuations mentioned refer to the period when the power supply is not fully stable after restoration. During this time, the light bulb may be receiving power but unable to light up, so you would not be able to notice it.

Options
3 weeks ago
I will try this and get back to you.
Options
2 weeks ago

@Wayne-TP 

I've just tested this product again, and unfortunately, the issue persists. I could not reproduce the issue by following a fixed process. The reset/disconnection happens at random times, even though there is no fluctuation in electricity.

I own several other TP-Link products and have never encountered anything like this. This issue is quite frustrating and disappointing, and I'm now considering this a loss and will move on to another product.

I use "TpLink Smart Switches" which is connected to the same wifi network as the bulb and has same electricity environment as the bulb. The switch never gets disconnected on it's own.

I've checked various online portals and found that I'm not alone. Many others are facing the exact same problem with this device. I'm attaching screenshots and links for your reference.

The following is taken from Amazon India page. Just search for "disconnect" under "Looking for specific info section"

The following is taken from flipkart India page. 2nd review page.

Options
2 weeks ago

@SubM 

Disconnection is a common issue that can occur with any electronic network device. The types and causes of disconnection can vary widely, and similar symptoms do not necessarily indicate the same underlying factors. The term "disconnect" by itself does not convey enough information.

As I explained, the steps to reset the bulb are relatively complex. Normally, the bulb should not be reset when there is a sudden power outage, and your own tests have confirmed this.

Given the background information you provided, the unstable power fluctuations in your environment are likely the cause of this issue. Unfortunately, we don't have any additional suggestions for problems caused by environmental factors affecting product performance.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Wayne-TP wrote

As I explained, the steps to reset the bulb are relatively complex. Normally, the bulb should not be reset when there is a sudden power outage, and your own tests have confirmed this.

I might have described the issue incorrectly. I assumed that the bulb was being "reset," but I can't be certain that's what's happening.

What I do know is that every other day, when I open the Tapo app, I see that the bulb is marked as "offline." This led me to assume it was being reset.

At this moment, the bulb is in an "offline" status, and I have to manually reset the bulb and reconnect it to the Wi-Fi network to get it working again. The screenshot of the reviews I posted earlier perfectly describes this situation: the bulb becomes "disconnected" from the app.

Below you can see the screenshot of my tapo app.

Power fluctuations don't happen all the time, but what does occur regularly is that the bulb goes "offline" every 2-3 days. The interval isn't consistent.

Moreover, the fact that many other users are experiencing the same issue suggests there's a problem with the Tapo bulb itself. It's unlikely that all those reviewers have unstable electricity.

Additionally, many people either don't bother to leave a review or report the issue, so the actual number of users facing this problem could be much higher than the number of reviews suggests.

Options
Re:Tapo Smart Bulb Frequent Settings Reset-Solution
2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago

@SubM 

When the light bulb is offline, is the default WiFi used for configuration not appear?Does it take a manual reset to become visible? If so, the lightbulb has not been reset.

Please check if the device appears online in the app when your phone is connected to the local Wi-Fi network. Additionally, you can check the router's Wi-Fi list to see if the bulb is still connected. 

You may refer to this article for troubleshooting suggestions. Cannot use the Tapo/Kasa app to control my smart devices

Recommended Solution
Options
Friday
Today I faced the same issue again. I'm connected to the local Wifi and The device is offline. On the Wifi List I can see a new network which's name is something like "Tapo_Bulb" I had to connect to that, re-add the bulb like I did on first time. This happens frequently but there is no fixed interval. It just happens randomly.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 275

Replies: 9

Tags

Installation
power issue
Related Articles