HS100 Newbie - and confused

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS100 Newbie - and confused

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:HS100 Newbie - and confused
2017-09-01 23:31:07
Am I correct in guessing you're connecting to the TP Links with custom software? You'll probably need to talk to the developer of that software as the network protocol the TP Link team used doesn't work very well in complex networks. Getting mine to work with them was a bit tricky.

BTW, probably not relevant to this issue, but you may be adding complexity by using MAC filtering without adding any real security. A hacker that can't spoof a MAC probably couldn't get past WPA2 either.
Options
2017-09-02 18:03:58

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

Am I correct in guessing you're connecting to the TP Links with custom software? You'll probably need to talk to the developer of that software as the network protocol the TP Link team used doesn't work very well in complex networks. Getting mine to work with them was a bit tricky.

BTW, probably not relevant to this issue, but you may be adding complexity by using MAC filtering without adding any real security. A hacker that can't spoof a MAC probably couldn't get past WPA2 either.

KASA app is the recommended app TP LINK advise to use. Examples of the app's use is in the received and also on their website. |Have not tried any other software app's.
Options
2017-09-02 18:46:59

Shield101 wrote

Do you get the solid green light on your smart plug? Is your mobile connected to the same home network? Or you want to control them remotely?

I now have them connected via the mobile, but cannot get alexa.amazon.co.uk to dscover the phones. I uninstalled the app twice and used REVo uninstaller to get rid of leftovers. After doling the uninstall twice. I managed to get KASA to discover the TP Link plugs. THe configutration is now okay they work as expected via KASA.

The problem now is that Advertised 'works with Alexa' is not happening at at all.
I have other divices by a diffewrent manufacfuter working within ALEXA but i cannot get the web page to discover the TP link devices at all. Which is the main reason i purchased them. I wanted remote use via Amazons Alexa.

THey are all on the same network, i do have option to switch to another line with a different ISP as I have two lines into my property. But that did not work either. On both networks i caqn get my other devices to work via Alexa biut not the TP link plugs.

On alexa web page via 'skills' i get the other devices listed. But when I click on Devices, then click 'discover' just sits ther going through the 20second process. Nothing is reported. The main problem according to Help file and TP link is that I have to click the 'allow remote control' in KASA first. But i don ot have the link in version of KASA by TPlink. my ver - 1.8.3 ! build 674.

So without that link being activated i am not allowed to get Amazon Echo to talk to KASA.
Options
2017-09-02 21:50:38

EssexUK wrote

KASA app is the recommended app TP LINK advise to use. Examples of the app's use is in the received and also on their website. |Have not tried any other software app's.

Sorry, I should have said - I was asking Phil. It sounded like he's monitoring the device status and I asked 'cause keeping the app open or constantly opening it is a bit of a pain.
Options
2017-09-02 21:58:49

EssexUK wrote

The main problem according to Help file and TP link is that I have to click the 'allow remote control' in KASA first. But i don ot have the link in version of KASA by TPlink. my ver - 1.8.3 ! build 674.

Right - this works by amazon's cloud service talking to kasa's cloud service which then talks to your TP Links, so it only works if remote control is enabled.
On mine (android, 1.8.3) the "enable remote control" is per device (select the device from the list, then touch the settings button top right). The remote button will show "disabled" until you log in to your kasa cloud account (main screen, top left "hamburger button", use the "Log in or create account").
Options
2017-09-03 00:18:39

Am I correct in guessing you're connecting to the TP Links with custom software? You'll probably need to talk to the developer of that software as the network protocol the TP Link team used doesn't work very well in complex networks. Getting mine to work with them was a bit tricky.BTW, probably not relevant to this issue, but you may be adding complexity by using MAC filtering without adding any real security. A hacker that can't spoof a MAC probably couldn't get past WPA2 either.
I'm using the official Kasa appI can see from my router/dhcp log that the plugs connect and disconnect from my network seemingly at random, but frequentlyTo be fair to TO P-Link they did get back to me, the original tech support person having leftThey are going back to basics with meIn the meantime, I have discovered eFamily SAW1 which, in the latest incarnation, seems bullet proof (and about half the price!)I am not using MAC filtering on the SSID my smart home stuff connects to
Options
2017-09-03 02:44:26
I'd have to see that DCHP log to be of help (and I probably wouldn't be much help at that). But getting/request an IP address isn't the same as disconnecting or being offline - you probably should be looking at the wifi connection log.

The MAC filtering won't hurt anything, it just won't help anything either and adds needless complexity. What would help more is to use a flat network rather than splitting it - that may be the cause of the problems 'cause the way TP Link uses UDP (generally they don't use TCP) doesn't flow well across segments. At the very least you want your phone running kasa attached to the same network as your TP Link devices if you want to connect to them locally vs through the TP Link cloud.

Probably not right to mention other products on TP Links site, but if you're after more reliability and security at a lower cost you could have a look at my website (it's in my signature). It would let you isolate your TP Links and/or other apps to a separate network segment with internet access disabled yet still let you control them remotely.
Options
Cannot get ALEX tro Discover TP LINK Plugs
2017-09-04 00:08:41

Right - this works by amazon's cloud service talking to kasa's cloud service which then talks to your TP Links, so it only works if remote control is enabled.
On mine (android, 1.8.3) the "enable remote control" is per device (select the device from the list, then touch the settings button top right). The remote button will show "disabled" until you log in to your kasa cloud account (main screen, top left "hamburger button", use the "Log in or create account").

#MikeP
Thanks for reply. I found the link to the 'remote control' page. 2 device's were already set to remote control. I set the switch for the 3rd from off to on.

Logged into - https://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html#appliances /smart home/ /devices click highlighted 'discover' box. wait 20 seconds - nothing found. ( except 2 devices previously found by different app/supplier= (Lombex)

I am obviously doing something wrong, but i cannot see what?

I know people have said they have remote control via Alexa working...but i cannot seem to manage it yet.?

I have KASA - TP Cloud account setup up and logged into.

all help appreciated.
Options
2017-09-04 02:35:33
Now you're getting a bit past me as I don't use the Alexa/TP Link connection myself (my app gives local control of TP Links using alexa), so the TP Link support folks here will need to help. If I were to guess you need to enable the TP Link skill in alexa if you haven't, or there's an account mismatch.
Options
2017-09-05 00:42:42

EssexUK wrote

#MikePThanks for reply. I found the link to the 'remote control' page. 2 device's were already set to remote control. I set the switch for the 3rd from off to on.Logged into - https://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html#appliances /smart home/ /devices click highlighted 'discover' box. wait 20 seconds - nothing found. ( except 2 devices previously found by different app/supplier= (Lombex)I am obviously doing something wrong, but i cannot see what?I know people have said they have remote control via Alexa working...but i cannot seem to manage it yet.?I have KASA - TP Cloud account setup up and logged into.all help appreciated.
I had to turn OFF remote control, then back ON again for it to workAlso, is your Echo connected to the same wifi as the HS100s??Lastly, can you operate the HS100s cpfrom the Kasa App ok?
Options
Related Articles