Votes

Move to a new wifi network for ALL devices via Tapo app.

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread Reconfigure Wi-Fi without reset. Please vote on the main thread.

Votes

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread Reconfigure Wi-Fi without reset. Please vote on the main thread.
Sunday - last edited Thursday

Hi there!

I currently have a house full of Tapo light bulbs, a smart led strip, and a bunch of smart plugs. All of this is linked to Amazon Alexa for voice operation. 

Recently, I needed to change wifi password, and discovered that there is currently NO WAY to change a wifi password, let alone an SSID on a tapo device, without completely removing / deleting it from the app, and therefore your account, which then has the knock on effect of also removing it from all of my voice routines on my amazon account. 

This is RIDICULOUS. You are selling us mountains of smart devices and then causing us massive headaches should we need to change wifi networks for any reason. It is not acceptable and had I have known this prior to purchasing, I would not have. 

Do none of you who work for tp-link actually use these devices? Never encountered this issue?

Presently I am having massive issues with ALL of my tapo devices at times lagging like crazy, despite the fact that they alone use my 2.4ghz wifi band, and the rest are using 5ghz and 6ghz bands. Rather than just using the whole 2.4ghz band, I had decided to try setting up an IoT network, and moving all my tapo devices to that, to see if that improves things, but this now presents a major hassle, and a lot of work when it should be a simple thing. The device does NOT need to be removed from my account. I am not disposing of it. I am simply moving it to a new network. I do not understand why it cannot be run through the app, even if it means physically taking the phone near each device for it to make the changes necessary. Hell, I even have a tapo hub, which I had mistakenly assumed meant it would run ALL of my tapo devices, and so give me the ability to do what I suggest, and move them all to a new network run by the hub itself. But no!! it will only connect my temp sensor, and my 1 motion sensor that I thought i'd try out... yay!! what a waste that thing is!

So now, to move to a new ssid/password I must delete/remove each device, 1 by 1, then go around the whole house, and 1 by 1 re-add them to the network (and half of them will refuse to do it, of that I have no doubt, because at least a couple of my tapo plugs took me 100x to get it to actually accept the network to begin with [so reliable!, am i right?]) and after I've done that for my 24 tapo devices in the house, i'll then have to go and re-create all of the voice routines for them as well. 

BLEEPING RIDICULOUS!

We all NEED this functionality. In an ever growing 'smart' systems environment, with more and more devices being made every day, how can this not be a priority?

PLEASE do something about this post haste. I have been a big supporter of tp-link kasa and now Tapo devices for some time, but if this functionality cannot or will not be added then all of these devices will be destined for the bin, and I will be sharing the reasons for that far and wide. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 17

Replies: 0