newbie question about multiple units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-09-20 06:04:48
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

I live in a 2 story home with very bad wifi. My cable modem is in my office because I work from home and for security I only hard wire with my work laptop.

I was looking at getting the device: TP-Link AV1200 Powerline Adapter, Gigabit, Up to 1200Mbps (TL-PA8010 KIT) from Amazon.

I understand how this works for a single connection, but what if I want to put one of these in several rooms of the house? Do I have to buy several kits and pair each one (meaning I must have enough electrical jacks in my office to do that)?

Or can I get one "master" switch that connects to the modem and then 4 or 5 devices that would pair to it?

Or maybe I should just do one for upstairs and have that connected to a different wifi router?

thanks - sorry but I'm not very knowable of this stuff.
Options
12 Reply
Re:newbie question about multiple units
2017-09-20 15:28:29
The PLC network may contain multiple adapters, up to 250 if they're all from the 1200 series.

You start with one pair, one at the router and one at your first endpoint destination. With these paired, you can add new adapters into the network as simply as two button pushes. You may also consider adding a WiFi-enabled unit for where your primary WiFi signal is weak, and set both up for the same ID and passphrase, for improved WiFi coverage across your house.
Options
2017-09-20 21:31:45
Thanks for the reply Peter.

Are there any examples of what units I should get if I wanted to do one adapter pair and then a wifi unit for upstairs?

I've been googling for examples, but most threads I find just say "it depends." I'm looking for some examples that say things like, if you have a 2 story home plus basement, here's an example setup.
Options
2017-09-21 16:21:10
Ideally, all your wifi units (including the router) are from the same vendor, for that enables a higher convenience in maintaining the network. Configuration convenience aside, this doesn't matter for plain setups with a single WiFi net. Advanced stuff like having an isolated "guest" network cannot be done unless all the APs use the same underlying software - this is when you want everything from the same vendor.

So let's say you start with an 8630P kit. You put the simple unit (an 8010P in this case) near the router, and put the 8630P where you want your WiFi improved. After pairing the adapters on the PLC level, configure the 8630P WiFi AP to the same network name and passphrase as your router. Set them to use different channels at least four apart so the radios don't interfere with each other. (Optimize this to minimize overlap with your neighbours' WiFi as well.)

That's all that's to it really. Later expansion works in the same way - e.g. if you need LAN in another room as well, purchase an extra 8010P or 8030P, join it into your existing PLC network, and that's it. If you'd like to have WiFi in your basement, get another 8630P and repeat what you did upstairs, only on a different WiFi channel again.
Options
2017-09-26 04:55:51
Hello,

I'm having the same issue. I live in 3 Story house. my modem and router AC router are on the top floor. TV and TVbox located at 2nd floor with weak 5G and good 2.4G signal. The ground floor with very weak wifi signal on 2.4G and none 5G signal.

I have a very old Powerline adaptor on the 3rd floor next to the router to connect the TV box (Wire) on the 2nd floor. My goal is to boost the wifi signal on ground level. I checked the TP-Link and looking for the TL-WPA8630 and TL-WPA8630P, what is the difference between this two? Also, i checked the website of WPA8630P and i see there is a picture shows you can connect two TL-WPA8630P and one TL-PA8010P in the same house. (screenshot below) So, my question is how can i buy the TL-WPA8630P alone? i checked all computer store and they only sell as a kit set.

can anyone suggest the best product i have to buy? i dont need any wire connection on the ground level. Thanks

Options
2017-09-27 00:41:21
Without looking, the difference between the two model numbers is likely that one with the P has a passthrough adaptor as the non WiFi unit (you can insert a mains plug into it) and the other doesn't. They only sell them in a kit of 2 AFAIK. You could always eBay a spare unit.

I have the 8730 and it works OK. It needed a firmware update to work well with 9000 series adaptors though.

The 9610 WiFi kit is now also out and might be worth considering if you want to future proof.
Options
2017-09-27 01:32:24

The Vogon wrote

Without looking, the difference between the two model numbers is likely that one with the P has a passthrough adaptor as the non WiFi unit .......

I just spoke with the pre-sale, the product between WPA8630P and WPA8630, the P with the AC passthrough which it has the power plug on the adaptor other is now, which you are right. Second, the wifi antenna located outside on WPA8630.

does the antenna located outside will provide better reception?
Options
2017-10-03 00:43:19
Do you know where the 9610 can be purchased? I can’t seem to find anyone selling it
Options
2017-10-04 00:07:40
Options
2017-10-04 00:52:51
It doesn’t appear to be available in the US
Options
2017-10-04 02:25:36
Looks like it's not on their website so not launched in US yet. It's probably coming soon.

What WiFi router are you using on the top floor?

Does your house by any chance have wooden floors?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1877

Replies: 12