access point setup why use lan port?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-22 19:27:27
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have set up my c3159 as an access point and it works great. My question is about the instructions.

In the manual and website it says to connect the main router to a LAN port on the AP router. Why? I do not need it to act like a switch.

I have always used main router LAN port to AP router WAN port and it works fine. DHCP off (missing from instructions), fixed IP address on AP router. I use the AP LAN ports for streaming devices.

Is there a reason for the main LAN to AP LAN connect?

Like this
_______ _______
internet-->WAN| MAIN | LAN ------>WAN|AP rout|LAN------------>devices
------------ -------------

BTW - great products
Options
6 Reply
Re:access point setup why use lan port?
2017-10-23 15:40:03
hmmm, nice iten, as for me
Options
2017-10-23 18:30:17
Is there a reason for the main LAN to AP LAN connect?

Like this
_______ _______
internet-->WAN| MAIN | LAN ------>WAN|AP rout|LAN------------>devices
------------ -------------

BTW - great products[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, if main --WAN port , DHCP need to turned on, it works as a normal NAT device.The WAN port cannot works as a LAN port
Options
maybe I do not understand the difference
2017-10-24 05:30:33
I have DHCP off. It works great as an AP off the main router, same as when I used a Cisco router in bridge mode. I can manage all IP reservations and bindings from the main router. I just don't understand why the instructions say connect to a LAN port on both routers like a switch. All of the device reservations and bindings work, no matter which SSID is being used. Maybe I don't understand the difference between bridge mode and access point.
Options
2017-10-25 17:34:09
when use the LAN port, all the device under the same VLAN, when use WAN port, device connect to the main router and the extended router on different network, not in the same network segment
Options
makes sense. surprised though.
2017-10-26 18:08:01
uutommi - that makes sense. I am surprised I can still administer bindings and reservations for all devices connected to both routers from the main router though.
Options
2017-10-27 17:21:16
All devices connect together, still under the same big network environment, so still can administer bindings and reservations for all devices connected to both routers from the main router, I guess
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2399

Replies: 6

Related Articles