TL-PA9020P KIT: persistent red light on far end adapter?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-24 08:11:48
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a TL-PA9020P kit that I was using for streaming media to my TV (Netflix). That worked well for some time. Then I stopped using the powerline networking for that, and added a solar panel monitor with a a TP-Link AV600 powerline adapter. That paired right up to the PA9020P by my router, no problem. However, I recently tried to add the PA9020P by the TV back into the powerline network, so I would have just the 2 PA9020P's, plus the AV600 adapter on the powerline network...should work, right?

Initially tried using the "Pair" buttons on the adapter by the router and the one by the TV a few times, and while the powerline network between the solar panel monitor and router continued to work, the PA9020P at the TV only got a continuous red light (along with the other two green lights *smile*). So I tried resetting the PA9020P at the TV (pressing the "Pair" button on the adapter for about 15 seconds), and when the adapter came back up, same red light. Again tried to pair the adapter by the TV with the one by the router, same red light.

Don't know what else to try at this point. All the adapters are plugged directly into the wall, no extension cords or power strips, etc. And the link between the adapter at my router and the adapter at the TV worked for some time. Nothing has changed other than adding the TP-Link AV600 adapter, which does work fine with the AV2000 PA9020P adapter. The good thing is that the AV600 adapter at the solar panel monitor has continued to work during all this, the bad thing is that I'd like to also use the powerline network to stream to my TV again.

Any ideas of what I might do to troubleshoot this, or how to get it to work?

Thanks!
Options
6 Reply
Re:TL-PA9020P KIT: persistent red light on far end adapter?
2017-10-24 10:08:14
A little more data. I moved the PA9020P that was at the TV onto the same circuit with the one by my router. Red light immediately came on. So I reset it, red light off. Clicked on "Pair" on both adapters, and the red light went back on.

So I plugged in the other AV600 adapter on the same electric circuit, and it worked fine...I sure would like to try something to resuscitate the "red light" PA9020P adapter, though.

Anyone here have any ideas on what I might do?

Thanks.
Options
2017-10-24 16:03:10
do you have internet access when the 9020P has red light on it?
I think you can also use the utility to add into the network :
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1059.html
Options
2017-10-25 00:51:03
Red light can just mean low link speed. Check via the tpPLC utility.
Options
2017-10-25 03:17:27

vieldcs wrote

do you have internet access when the 9020P has red light on it?
I think you can also use the utility to add into the network :
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1059.html

Good question about internet access with the red light on. And I've seen the facility to add an adapter to the network in the utility, good idea, I can try that, too.

Thanks!
Options
2017-10-25 07:36:26
Okay, did the testing:

1. Yes, there is internet at the ethernet port of the PA9020P when the red light is on. In fact, it isn't even degraded. When on the same circuit as the other adapter that's close to my router, it gets the full ISP download/upload speed.

2. The utility could not add the red light adapter...but the manual pairing worked fine. And the utility showed the red light adapter after it had been manually paired.

So I guess both the red light and the utility are broken...I'll try the red light adapter back where the TV is, and I'm betting that it'll be fine. Maybe the red light will just change back to green as mysteriously as it changed to red at some point :-). Pretty useless as an indicator at the moment.
Options
2017-10-25 07:46:41
Yes, the "red light on" PA9020P is doing fine at my TV. Who knew.

Never mind :-)...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2807

Replies: 6