Connect two AC750 Extenders to network - second one has no internet access. Help!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Connect two AC750 Extenders to network - second one has no internet access. Help!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-08 00:27:10
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I'm trying to connect two AC750 extenders to my network.

Setup:
Router (Netgear R7000 Nighthawk) is in the middle of the house in the office.
[*]AC750 #1 one is down the hall near the bedrooms. That's working fine - high speed internet now available in the bedrooms. :)
[*]AC750 #2 is in the garage at the other end of the house to provide a better network for some security devices that need network access.
[*]I'm using network extender mode, and extending the same SSID on both AC750's.
[*]AC750 #1 and #2 are both attached to the Netgear router network - I've carefully checked the MAC address of the device/network that I attach them
to when during setup.
[*]I can see both AC750's in my Netgear router attached device list after they are set up - they each have their own valid IP address, .e.g., 192.168.1.25 and 192.168.1.27. Router IP is 192.168.1.1.
[*]All three LEDs are green on both AC750's.
Problem:
AC750 #2 does not provide internet access. It has as strong signal, but I cannot get to the internet when standing right next to it. As soon as I unplug AC750 #2, I have normal access to the internet from signals provided by my router and AC750 #1.
Is it possible to have two AC750's connected to the same router? As noted, I'm sure that I'm not connecting one AC750 to the other, based on confirming the router MAC address when attaching them to my router's network during setup. I have valid IP addresses for both units in my router's attached devices list, so they both appear to be connected to the router as expected.

Appreciate any suggestions regarding troubleshooting this issue. Thanks!
Options
7 Reply
Re:Connect two AC750 Extenders to network - second one has no internet access. Help!
2017-12-08 15:27:00
how about change different SSID of the 750 and router, then re-configure it to make sure whether connect one AC750 to the other.

Options
Re:Connect two AC750 Extenders to network - second one has no internet access. Help!
2017-12-08 16:04:11
when connect 750#2, have you obtain a correct IP? could you log in the web of RE and router? Do you have a correct gateway?
Options
2017-12-09 00:33:09
Thanks very much for your replies, @uutommi.

I actually finally called TPLink support yesterday and got the second RE200 connected successfully with internet access working.

However, I have a recurring issue that is keeping me from using the second RE200.

Each time I set up the second RE200, after some time (and I am not sure how much time, but it seems like it's an hour or more at least) the second RE200 loses internet access. The Wi-Fi signal from the second RE200 is still very strong, but it cannot provide any connection to the internet.

My router and the first RE200 always work fine and never lose internet connection.

This happens repeatedly. All three lights on the unit are on and green in all cases. For example:

- Yesterday morning: I set up the second RE200 and confirmed with TPLink support that it was working perfectly, with full internet access. I left for work and came back home some hours later, and found that there was no internet access when connected to the second RE200.

- Yesterday afternoon: I unplugged the second RE200 and waited some time, and plugged it in again and waited for it to boot up and connect. I had full internet access, all three lights green. I went to bed, and this morning when I woke up the same problem - strong signal on the second RE200, all three lights green, but no internet access when connected to it.

- In each case the router and the other RE200 at the other end of the house work perfectly with full internet access

- The second RE200 always has a valid IP address on my Netgear router (192.168.2.28) and shows connected to my router at all times (unless I unplug it, of course). (The first RE200 also has a valid IP address on my Netgear router - 192.168.2.26.)

- The signal strength from the second RE200 is very strong, no issues with that

- In each case when internet access is lost all three lights on the second RE200 are on and green

- This same issue happens regardless of where I have the second RE200 located - I've had this happen when it was plugged in in two different locations in my home

I would really appreciate any advice on troubleshooting and resolving this issue - I am starting to wonder if I have a bad unit and need to return it for a replacement. The first RE200 I installed works very well, best extender I've ever used, and I would really like to have the second RE200 to work in the same way.
Thanks,

Dana
Options
2017-12-09 08:56:45
OK, more testing and more feedback from today.

Action: Set up second RE200 with a different SSID.

Steps:

- Unplug first RE200
- Set up second RE200 w/different SSID (e.g., with "_ext" added on)
- Tested second RE200 at two locations - internet access working
- Plugged in first RE200
- Waited until both units have valid IP address in router (e.g., 192.168.1.26 and 192.168.1.28)
- Tested internet access at first RE200 - works
- Tested internet access at second RE200 - fails

At this point I feel one of the statements below must be fact:

1. You cannot have two RE200 extenders attached the same router and maintain internet access on both extenders
2. My second RE200 is defective and needs to be returned/exchanged so I can try it again with a different RE200

I would really appreciate any advice to help me troubleshoot this issue - I'm really getting frustrated by this. Thank you.
Options
2017-12-11 12:09:57
Talking to myself here...

I think that I finally (maybe) have both of my RE200/AC750 extenders up and running.

I had to:

1. Reset my router (again)
2. Set up the first RE200, cloning the existing 2.4 and 5 GHz networks
- As a part of setup I updated the FW on the router to the current version
3. Unplug the first RE200
4. Setup the second RE200, also cloning the existing 2.4 and 5 GHz networks
- As a part of setup I updated the FW on the router to the current version
5. Unplug the second RE200
6. Plug in the first RE200 in its desired location and confirm that the network and internet were accessible
7. Plug in the second RE200 in its desired location and confirm that the network and internet were accessible
8. Say a prayer and go to bed :)

Woke up this AM and my phone was not connecting the internet via the wireless network, so I was not happy, but tried turning Wi-Fi on the phone off and on again and things were OK after a bit. Rest of my family seems to be OK after in some cases similar off/on for Wi-Fi on their device. Overall network/Internet access seems OK, download/upload speeds seem OK.

So it look OK so far. Really hoping this holds up. I am worried what will happen the next time I have to reboot my router or the extenders, but we'll see what happens when the time comes.

If and when I have to reboot my router, I will always first unplug the extenders, reboot the router and confirm all devices are connected normally, and then plug in each extender.
Options
2017-12-18 13:05:35
Things were OK overall, but the whole system felt fragile, and every time I had to do anything on the network I was worried things would go awry again, and any flakiness in through-put/speed was very hard to troubleshoot.

So I returned the extenders and moved to the Eero mesh system. More expensive for sure, but set-it-and-forget-it quality and absolutely boring (in a good way) reliability.
Options
#metoo
2017-12-22 12:03:22
Wanted to share that I am experiencing the same issues with a two RE210 and one RE200. At the moment I "solved" the issue by setting up different SSIDs for each unit, so I am running 4 WiFi networks plus a Guest network from my core router. This is NOT what I want but when I had all units broadcasting the same SSID, I would experience NO INTERNET at random times across the house. This is very dissatisfying as I didn't intend to require multiple SSIDs to cover my same home and it adds confusion and aggravation.
Did TP tech support confirm that multiple units could hold the connection or was your solution unique?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5518

Replies: 7