Password Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Password Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Password Problem
Password Problem
2017-12-10 03:33:54
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I installed an HS100 plug a week ago and had it working in about 15 minutes. A few days ago I installed another one and had some struggles but eventually got it going. Today I've tried to get two more plugs going and can't get either of them installed. Mostly the plug sits there flashing orange/green but nothing happens. I've tried unplugging/replugging, pressing the little button to reset to factory configuration, etc., and can't seem to get them on my network.

Among the error messages I've encountered is that KASA no longer supports an unsecured wifi network and that I now need to set up a password. Huh? First of all I live in a remote area & am not especially worried about it. Second, the router was installed years ago. I don't even begin to know where to look for the program/disk or whatever that I need to do this.

Is this for real? Or is it a fluke? And why did the first two plugs work correctly?

Thanks.
Options
5 Reply
Re:Password Problem
2017-12-12 16:47:01
Emmmmm, I also notice this problem. Seems that latest Kasa doesn't support unsecured network for some safety issues. If you use the old kasa version , maybe you can configure your plug to open wifi.
Options
2017-12-19 19:01:10
Big problem. And a new problem. I bought two identical HS100's three weeks ago. Ten days ago I set one up with no problem. Now I try to set the other up, and it won't connect because I have no password on my wifi. Which is fine for me - detached house with no security problem. And necessary for many legacy wifi devices.

This must be a recent change in the Android app. But how does one downgrade an Android app? I need the app only to configure, as I plan to control the switches via Python.

HELP !!!
Options
2017-12-20 11:21:12
For old ksaa Android apk, maybe you can ask for it from support team?
Options
2017-12-20 19:31:23
BINGO! My app updated last night and, while writing again to Kasa, I tested the new version. It has reverted, so it allows unsecured wifi! Problem over, though I am continuing my letter to ask them not to do this again.

Interestingly, about the same time as the upgrade I had a reply from the web form I completed:

Dear Christopher,

Thank you very much for your email requesting information about our product. Smart home device cannot handle open network. From perspective of kasa ecosystem, smart device is not allowed to connect to open network to avoid risks.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

which is both plain wrong (since the moment it was sent) and unhelpful. Probably a robot, and one unconnected to the development team.

This problem, I suspect, has only been there a fortnight.
Options
2017-12-22 17:02:08
I've got a old version APP installation file from the support, directly ask them for it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 865

Replies: 5

Related Articles