What is the default DHCP mode when set to "Auto"

2017-12-10 09:41:57
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Can someone tell me what the default DHCP mode for the RE200 is when it is set to Auto (other choices are On and Off).

When I am cloning an existing network does the "Auto" setting default to DHCP Off?
When I am creating a new SSID (e.g., network_ext) does the Auto setting default to On

Is the general recommendation when cloning a network to turn DHCP off, or turn it on?
Is the general recommendation when creating a new SSID to turn DHCP on, or turn it on?

Thanks for the help.
Options
1 Reply
Re:What is the default DHCP mode when set to "Auto"
2017-12-20 13:19:02
If the repeater can detect another DHCP server, then it won’t start up it’s own DHCP server. Detection is one by requesting a DHCP lease for itself. However, the DHCP client used in TP-Link products hasn’t been updated since 2014 and contains known compatibility problems with DHCP servers; especially related to failing to renew existing DHCP leases.

If you know you already have a DHCP server on your network (e.g. in your router/gateway) then you should disable all other DHCP servers. Multiple DHCP announcements on the same network can lead to a lot of problems with multiple devices announcing themselves as the default route.
Options