How does 3G/4G failover actually work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-02-08 04:26:18
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I don’t fully understand the 3G/4G failover capability of TP-Link routers, like TL-MR3420. Does the router actually detect your internet service provider WAN outage? I’m not talking about electricity being down and the cable modem powered down, or manually unplugging the WAN cable from the TP-Link router – obviously those can be easily detected. I refer to the connection to the outside being unavailable (ISP gateways or DNS servers unreachable), while all your home equipment is still up and running locally. Does a TP-Link router actually detect that kind of event and switches to 3G/4G automatically? I want to get TP-Link as a secondary router - I will plug it into my existing primary router, and then plug whatever equipment I need to be online during an ISP outage into the TP-Link. When my ISP WAN is down, I will need TP-Link to accurately and quickly detect that event, and switch to 3G/4G. Subsequently, when the ISP is back up, I will need TP-Link to detect that and switch back to the primary WAN connection.
Options
2 Reply
Re:How does 3G/4G failover actually work?
2018-02-25 06:55:30
The Failover works, but the WAN re-connection doesn't seem to work.
You have to completely reboot the modem before the WAN kicks back over. I wish I had of known that prior to spending money on these units. I will be returning them.
Options
Re:How does 3G/4G failover actually work?
2018-08-27 14:50:28
That is completely unacceptable. This router is worthless. I wish I've found this post earlier.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1301

Replies: 2