Kasa Android app hangs on firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-03 22:47:55
Model : HS100

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I just updated firmware on four HS100 plugs. One failed and I saw a popup for that (which disappeared by itself.)
[*]That's poor user interface design. Do not use a toast message for a process that takes minutes. You cannot count on the user having their eyes glued to the screen for the entire time.
[*]The app seems to be stuck on that screen. Back button does not work. Progress is at 100.0% so I believe it is complete. If I exit and return to the activity it seems to break the lock and I can proceed. (Exit via the middle button at the bottom of the screen.)
The bug may not be reproducible. It did not occur the second time I tried to provoke it (with only one plug that required updates and unable to update.) The plug was unable to update because I had blocked Internet access for the plug at my firewall.

Phone is Pixel 2 XL Android 8.1.0 Google Support Services 1.17.1
Kasa V 2.2.0 build 784

I can't see where to file bug reports so perhaps someone from TP-Link can help with that.

Thanks!
Options
3 Reply
Re:Kasa Android app hangs on firmware update
2018-07-09 16:39:57
Hey, I just got the local update way from tp-link support before and you may have a try.

For this problem, we recommend a Local upgrade. Please have a windows computer to follow the instructions:
1.Make Sure the computer and the smart plug are connected to the same router/modem.
2.Donwload the firmware http://static.tp-link.com/iotUpgradeTool_V1.0.zip to the computer and extract it
3.Click and run the main.exe
4.Click scan button to find the devices on your local network(may click again if your device is not found)
5.Select your device by click it in the devices list box
6.Click upgrade button to start the upgrade procedure
7.The upgrade result will shown in the below log window and progress bar

Good luck..
Options
2018-07-12 07:44:12
Hi Aprilcoco,
Thanks for the tip.
The problem with the update was that I had the device blocked at my firewall. That is easily fixed by temporarily unblocking it.

The problem I was trying to report was that the Android app got stuck when this happened and chose a poor strategy to report a problem.

thanks,
hank
Options
2018-07-12 09:43:43
I just get the similar issue like you and consult tp support.

They provide me this app and you can also have a try.

http://support.tp-link.com/f/667a2a279b/?dl=1

download and install it on your Android phone.good luck...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6591

Replies: 3