HS220 without cloud account?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-08 01:49:16
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all - I have a number of smart bulbs and switches (HS200) and I love the fact that you do not need a cloud account/to remote enable them. I am in the process of installing some of their newer 3way (HS210) and dimmer (HS220) and I'm running into a problem with the dimmer switch (HS220). It appears you cannot install without a KASA cloud account. My assumption is they're moving products this route so they can capitalize on the data. Problem is I don't want or plan to use a cloud account. Anybody have any thoughts? This is going to be a real bummer if they chose to go this route.
Options
3 Reply
Re:HS220 without cloud account?
2018-08-08 11:50:23
These smart devices can be controlled through the cloud account.

If you do not use cloud account, how can you control it remotely?

In other words, it works just like normal switch..
Options
2018-08-08 20:08:11
Well, no, it's still more than a "normal" switch even without a cloud account. It can still be automated.

You folks (the vendors) are happy to gather and control our data in your cloud servers, but we're using these for *home* automation. We don't need (nor should we want) our data or control of our automation to leave our homes.

Remotely controlling lights is a corner use case. Sure it can be handy if one forgets, but is it worth the privacy risk? Good automation would take care of it anyway.

Turning on lights upon arrival is handy, but that doesn't need a cloud. It needs proximity detection *at home*. There's no need for TP Link to know when I come and go, only my *home* needs that information.

There are a few ways to use TP Link switches for in-home automation, AutomationManager (my app) is one. You need your Kasa cloud account to set up the switch (they're all like that now I believe). But you can use a separate email for setup, when it's running and the firmware is up to date use your router to block the switch reaching the internet. AutomationManager can be driven *directly* from *your* cloud accounts: Alexa, Google, IFTTT, etc, there's no 3rd party service needed to handle your automation.
Options
2018-08-09 00:35:34

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

Well, no, it's still more than a "normal" switch even without a cloud account. It can still be automated.

You folks (the vendors) are happy to gather and control our data in your cloud servers, but we're using these for *home* automation. We don't need (nor should we want) our data or control of our automation to leave our homes.

Remotely controlling lights is a corner use case. Sure it can be handy if one forgets, but is it worth the privacy risk? Good automation would take care of it anyway.

Turning on lights upon arrival is handy, but that doesn't need a cloud. It needs proximity detection *at home*. There's no need for TP Link to know when I come and go, only my *home* needs that information.

There are a few ways to use TP Link switches for in-home automation, AutomationManager (my app) is one. You need your Kasa cloud account to set up the switch (they're all like that now I believe). But you can use a separate email for setup, when it's running and the firmware is up to date use your router to block the switch reaching the internet. AutomationManager can be driven *directly* from *your* cloud accounts: Alexa, Google, IFTTT, etc, there's no 3rd party service needed to handle your automation.

What he said (and, thanks for the additional info/suggestion).

I don't want or need my data to be consumed by a third party.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2140

Replies: 3