Recommendation requested for WiFi range extension

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-18 20:02:55
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have an existing WiFi network in my home based upon an Apple Airport Extreme and an Airport Express set up as an extender. Works great. Now I want to add a device to the network that is outdoors and too far away to "see" any signal from the Airports, so I'm looking for a range extension solution. Here are the gory details, should they assist in identifying the best solution:

I have a drilled water well about 200 feet - maybe a little less - from my house. About 2000 feet away from the well there is a large storage tank. The pump in the well sends water to the tank via an underground pipe. The pump is turned on or off, as needed, by a float switch in the tank. However, the underground wire between the float switch (which provides simple contact closure) and the relay in the well head that controls the 240-volt pump was recently cut or otherwise disabled. I can't find the location of the cut and therefore cannot repair it. So I want to re-establish the communications link via the Internet. I have found a cool IOT product that relays contact closure via WiFi, so all I have to do is get WiFi to each end. It's no problem at the tank end, but is at the well end. Hence this request.

Can anyone recommend a range extension product, e.g. the EAP225, that can reliably reach about 200 feet (a few trees in the way), can be mounted outdoors and can share my Internet (WAN) connection (I have an Ethernet switch)? Assuming there is a product with sufficient signal strength to reach my well for the house, how does a device with 'normal' WiFi signal strength reach back to the extender, i.e. how does an extender serve remote devices that cannot match its range?

Any advice and counsel would be greatly appreciated!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 533

Replies: 0

Related Articles