3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2020-04-20 15:29:22

@echo954 

A three-way dimmer switch would be greatly appreciated. I have various Kasa products and love them. Do not want to go to a competitor and have a whole new app and whatnot but I might have to. Please make these for everyone.

Options
2020-04-21 05:38:27

Carl wrote

@pt44 

Hi, Its deffiantly been talked about but nothing has been confrimed to me yet, nor have i seen it on any potenital or confrimed roadmap.  Sorry.

@Carl First off, by all that is holy please sign up for Grammarly. That spelling is atrocious. 

Secondly, TP-link needs to take this forum seriously. Canned, badly spelled responses to obvious product gaps that have existed for half a decade suggest a company that has contempt for its customers.

Options
2020-04-21 17:06:19

@Harrier 

Thanks, so much for the feedback.  We will add you to the list of customers that has already been submitted to the product development team requesting a 3-way dimmer.  If it is decided that the product is to be made an official announcement will be made here in the community. 

Options
2020-04-21 18:44:05

Spent some time over the weekend trying to install a smart dimmer switch only to find out it didnt work. After Googling and finding this thread, now I know why. Almost every light switch in my house is a 3-way dimmer switch. I am incredibly disapointed that TP-Link does not offer this product as I already have several smart plugs/regular switches and I wanted to keep them all on the Kasa app. Hopefully this product comes to light soon! Otherwise I will be going with another brand, unfortunately. 

Options
2020-04-22 02:12:38 - last edited 2020-04-22 04:43:24

So,  I guess it's time we all wake up and smell the coffee.  TP-is not seriously trying to play in the home automation market,  and is just confounding me.  I'm not sure where they got their product managers from,  but they should be replaced.   It's too bad because they have a pretty good product base.  But since they cancelled HomeKit integration, and have ignored the numerous requests for the missing 3-way Dimmer. Requests not just from this forum, but throughout Google's reach.  And yes TP Link Carl,  it is appropriate to share product roadmaps and future directions with existing customers who have invested in, and trusted your company.   That's how you build brand and product loyalty.  But,  again,  you have to be serious about your  product line to begin with. It's really a shame.

Options
2020-04-22 03:57:39

@Scotcro Yep it is pretty sad that they cannot update us after more than a year and a half. It's a switch not industrial espionage.

I just installed a wi-fi mesh system and decided against the Tp-link version even though is was rated pretty well from what I found. Decided to go with a more expensive brand but was rated a tad higher because it just feels like tp-link seems like they are starting to go downhill. No really inovative products it seems anymore. Seems like they are relying on the same old 6-7 smart home products for the last 3 years now and they are getting long in the tooth. And I don't want to keep filling my home with products that might not be supported or the company won't be around too much longer.

Plus as a Chinese company they have probably have bigger issues to deal with right now. Best of luck.

Options
2020-04-28 18:48:26

I've seen several things online that suggest that people have successfully solved this problem using a manual 3-way dimmer switch along with a regular TP-Link non-dimming 3-way switch.  You need to be sure that the TP-Link switch is on the side with the always hot wire so it always has power to stay connected.  The other, non-hot side of the 3-way setup would control the dimmer. I haven't tried it myself yet (which is how I ended up here) but am hoping to get some input from others on why this wouldn't theoretically work before I waste my time and money trying it out. Seems to me like it should without a problem.

Options
2020-04-28 21:12:34

@echo954 

I can't think of a wiring topology that would allow the single-pole HS220 to work with a manual double-pole switch, but maybe I am missing something.  I have been living with the dual location wiring I diagrammed in an earlier post and it is working reasonably well.  I recommend it for anyone who needs dual location switching.  

Options
2020-04-28 21:19:26 - last edited 2020-04-28 21:21:17

I think the point of my Post is being missed.   I am not looking for a solution that "works reasonably well", a workaround, or any other Rube Goldberg solution.  I am looking for the right part for the job.  One manufactured for its purpose,  by the manufacturer i have trusted and invested in.

Options
2020-04-28 21:49:35

@Scotcro, I don't believe I am missing the point of your post.  I get that you want a purpose built 3-way smart dimmer.  So do I.  If one were to come out I would almost certainly purchase two of them for this application and repurpose the existing single-pole HS220s into other locations.  I am only trying to remind anyone in need of a solution that a workaround does exist (post number 40 in this thread).  

I think you have two choices: a) you can solve your problem "reasonably well" in the meantime with the topology I've shown to work while we wait for more complete solution from TP-link or b) you can go with a different vendor for this application and incur the switching cost for that vendor's hardware.  Given the cost for the Kasa products and the fact that this solution solves 80% of my problem, I am personally okay with the "reasonably well" solution for now with the confidence/hope that TP-Link will eventually build the right product.  This thread has more views than any of the others in the Smart Switches category on this forum (and 4th most among smart home posts), so I would hope that has some weight in their product management decisions.  I think the best course is to encourage others to add their voices to the request for such a product to show the market demand is worth the investment. 

If you really can't accept the workaround and go with a different vendor, then please let us know what you decide on and how it works.  I'm sure we would all appreciate knowing.  

Options
Related Articles