iOS Kasa App - How do I reorder how devices appear on the screen?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-30 22:19:11 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:52:28

How do I reorder how smart devices appear on the app screen?  I have smart plugs appear first, followed by smart switches, with each category ordering devices alphabetically.  WIth 11 devices, I need to reorder how they appear so that my most used and most important devices show up first and immediately.  I tried under Settings _ Widget Settings where it says, "Select and order which devices appear in the devices widget." but reordering things there didn't change how devices appear under Devices where one selects On and Off.  For as smart as this devices are, the app should be smart enough to permit reordering how devices appear.

Options
9 Reply
Re:iOS Kasa App - How do I reorder how devices appear on the screen?
2019-04-01 22:28:20 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:52:28

@Spiker 

The devices do order according to device type and in alphabetical order. Althought you are not able to manually move the devices around, what you can do is to create a group by selecting the plug symbol on the top right inside the Kasa devices menu, then select add group.

Options
2019-11-01 01:59:50 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:52:28
When can we expect an update to address this issue? I find it beyond frustrating that the plugs appear before the switches as I can only assume 90%+ of users change the state of their switches more frequently than plugs. Either way there needs to be an update that allows users to order their devices in the most logical way for how they are used without making a group. Groups are a poor fix as I now have to create a group for each individual device starting numerically with how I want them ordered.
Options
2020-01-05 00:21:56 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:52:28

@Spiker 

Everything needed to reorder is in the settings - widget settings.  It allows you to select and reorder how and which widgets appear but then just doesn't save the settings to the devices page when you exit.  The widget reorder setting was obviously created for just the purpose that everyone wants - why isn't it connected back to the device page?

Options
2020-01-18 14:53:23 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:52:28

@Spiker Just ran into this problem myself. Figured out that it auto sorts the devices by name, so a little creativity in what you name each device can accomplish this. Put a space before the name and it goes to the top. Start the name with a number and it'll be above anything that starts with a letter. With the rest of the functionality here, you shouldn't have to do something like this, but until there's a way to do it built into the app, this seems like a serviceable work around to me. 

Options
2020-09-21 15:27:51 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:52:28
Very useful tips thank you but as I think everyone agrees, it should be possible to order them manually.
Options
2021-04-05 19:30:10
Great tip ! I also used a 'dash' in front of the name, and those go to the top as well. Thanks !
Options
2022-02-11 22:06:37

@Spiker agreed just put numbers in front of the names and thay will put them in nimerical order

Options
2022-02-11 22:06:39

@Spiker agreed just put numbers in front of the names and thay will put them in nimerical order

Options
2022-02-13 18:33:09
Numbers work great but if you have a lot of devices and want your most commonly used switch at the top of the list you can’t do it because Kasa organizes plugs first then switches. For some reason Kasa refuses to finish programming the Widget settings in the settings portion which would allow complete freedom of organizing.
Options

Information

Helpful: 18

Views: 6525

Replies: 9