Deprecated Hardware/Firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-27 18:52:26
Model: Archer CR700  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1

I was thrilled to setup my new modem/router until discovering I unknowingly purchased a version with outdated internal components (v1.1). Why isn't this characteristic disclosed in the advertisement? Now, I will always be dissatisfied with the unit knowing it is of a less refined lot. This can only be resolved by returning the inferior product in pursuit of a superior model (v2). What else do you suggest I do? Needless to say, I am frustrated and disheartened by the experience.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deprecated Hardware/Firmware
2019-04-27 20:10:43

Upon further investigation, I've uncovered only two significant differences from the product literature.

v1 Transmit Power <30dbm

v2 Transmit Power <20dbm

v1 External Power Supply: 12VDC/3.5A

v2 External Power Supply: 12VDC/3.3A

So it seems the power output was reduced in version 2, perhaps to meet regional manufacturing requirements. Baring all else, that suggests version 1 outperfrorms version 2 and I came out ahead this time. Granted all major manufacturers adopt a similar manner of version control, but such facts should be clearly disclosed to the consumer at purchase time. Having this knowledge I maintain my intitial persuasion that the CR700 (both versions) clearly surpasses the competition in quality, features, and performance. Nevertheless, I remain keenly interested in commentary from TP-Link on the subject.

Options
Re:Deprecated Hardware/Firmware
2019-04-29 20:04:17

@ATP 

When a product is sold to a retailer we do not keep track what hardware version is being sold to the customer. The issue you brought up will need to be discussed with the retailer you are talking to or thinking of purchasing from. Some may keep track, others may not and ship what ever is on their shelf at the time.

Options
Re:Re:Deprecated Hardware/Firmware
2019-04-30 18:48:20
Well, I just discovered my unit was built in 2014. Unacceptable. So I will be returning it. I still think it's shady to market two different products with the same model name.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 512

Replies: 3