Can the RE-200 connect to my RV Park Wi-Fi?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-29 15:04:26
Model: RE200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have a small ethernet network in my RV trailer. When I go to RV parks, some offer WiFi. Although I can connect my smart phone or wifi-enabled laptop to the park WiFi directly, my RV network needs to access the network via an RJ45 ethernet cable only. To accomodate this, I use a dual band WiFi network adapter, like the Netgear WNCE3001. With this device, I configure it to connect to the park's WiFi and then plug my local router into the RJ45 ethernet port provided by the network adapter.

I was not able to get the Netgear unit to work at the current RV park, so I thought I would purchase something newer, hence the TP-Link AC750 (RE200). However, I can't get it to connect to the park's WiFi either. When I go through the setup wizard, I see the 2.4GHz SSIDs and can select them, but they show with an unlocked padlock and do not allow me to enter a password.

The park WiFI definitely requires a password, but it asks for it after the connection is made (I think using a web page).

Does the RE200 support connecting to a WiFi in this manner?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can the RE-200 connect to my RV Park Wi-Fi?
2019-05-29 17:45:53

@MarkEHansen 

Unfortunately, the extender will not be able to log into a capture portal (web page that requies a user or password). You can see if maybe by providing the MAC address to the network admin, they can "recognize" the device to see if it is possible to bypass the portal and give a connection.

Options
Re:Re:Can the RE-200 connect to my RV Park Wi-Fi?
2019-05-29 18:19:11

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of a device that will do what I want? Allow me to connect to the park's WiFi and then provide an RJ45 ethernet port for connection to my local network?

Thanks,

Options
Re:Can the RE-200 connect to my RV Park Wi-Fi?
2019-05-29 19:40:04

@MarkEHansen 

We do not have a device that can log into capture portals. You can possibly try the TL-WR802N, configure it has a hotspot router in which it connects to the wireless connection to get internet. Before that you would connect your laptop to the wireless connection, then set up the 802N and clone the MAC address of the laptop. Then again, that does not always work.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1701

Replies: 3