Cannot connect to SmartPlug SSID to complete device setup in Kasa (KP400 Outdoor)

Cannot connect to SmartPlug SSID to complete device setup in Kasa (KP400 Outdoor)
2019-06-02 02:24:25

I have been attempting to setup a KP400 Outdoor SmartPlug.  The LED is flashing orange and green and the Kasa app sees the temporary TP-Link SmartPlug_XXXX SSID. However, no device that I attempt setup from actually joins the temporary network in order to allow Kasa to complete the setup process.

I have tried from two Android devices and an iPad.  The Android devices see the network, attempt to join and immediately (less than a second) fail at joining at revert back to the primary SSID.   On the iPad, iOS reports that the password to join the network is incorrect.  I have not specified the password.  According to the TP-Link instructions it should be blank / no password.  

I have hard reset the SmartPlug four times by holding the button for at least 10 seconds.  I have the exact same issue every time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Cannot connect to SmartPlug SSID to complete device setup in Kasa (KP400 Outdoor)
2019-06-03 21:16:05

Some Devices will connect to the default network name but once it see there is actually no internet there then the client device will try to negotiate either LTE or back to the main network.  You can try to disable Cellular service and forget the main network from that point your device will not have anything to fall back on and should then connect to the default SSID to allow you to complete the setup

Options