Powerline AV2000 speed below what tpPLC is showing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-30 15:18:40
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, 

Speedtest directly on my modem gives dl at 450 Mbps.

tpPLC utility shows a 650-700 Mbps between my two devices

Speedtest whikel connected on the powerline device -> ~200Mbps

Why Am i losing around 200 Mbps of speed ? Am I missing something?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Powerline AV2000 speed below what tpPLC is showing
2019-07-30 16:51:17

@Lusty 

The real transfer speed you end up getting is based on factors such as the distance between the two nodes, the quality of the wiring, the amount of noise through the electrical wiring. 

It is usually the case that the speed you see will be slower then if you were wired to the router. 

As a alternative what you can do is to try a different outlet/plug to determine which gives you the most possible speed.

Options
2020-09-17 17:00:42

@Lusty doesnt tpplc show the effective bandwidth between the two devices, taking into account already the quality of bandwidth, etc?  Why would the speedtest on the far side of the connection be so much lower than the speed shown in tpplc?

Options
2020-09-17 22:56:52

@lewinr 

The speed you see in the utility is not the real speed, that shows the link rate between two adapters. You would generally get 30 to 40%, but if you add interference from other electrical devices, quality of wiring, and distance it will add to affecting the speed.

Options
2020-09-17 23:00:39

@Lusty thank you.

I expected that the adapters somehow test/negotiate/train between them to determine the speed, and then report that speed as useful information to the user.

What is the reason to show "not the real speed"?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2368

Replies: 4

Related Articles