Powerline AV2000 - Speed from A->B different than B->A

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-12 21:54:47 - last edited 2020-04-12 21:55:47
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I bought two TL-PA9020P kits since I needed 3 powerline adapters to serve as a backhaul for my Google Wifi network. Turned them on, got them to "see" each other and immediately the quality of the network improved when copying files between devices connected to different Google Wifi pucks because now they were using the Powerline wired network between each other. So far so good. Decided to download the tpPLC utility to see if there were any further options i could tweak and noticed something interesting when looking at the network connectivity map it draws. Here are the average speeds reported where A, B and C are the 3 powerline adapters:

A->B: 463Mbps

A->C: 463Mbps

B->A: 350 Mbps

B->C: 159 Mbps

C->A: 216 Mbps

C->B: 129 Mbps

I understand that the speed between units is affected by various factors, but why is there such difference between two directions on the same connection? For example A->C is 463Mbps and C->A is 216 Mbps. Wouldn't the signal take the exact same path in either direction?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Powerline AV2000 - Speed from A->B different than B->A
2020-04-13 22:02:50

@Nemo7891 

Signal transmission varies depending on what is the current hug where data traverses through, and how much noise is on the wiring while the signal jumps circuits. What can be done is to place the powerline adapters on different outlet until you find one that givess the best results.

Options
2020-04-14 12:51:25

@Tony Thanks for your response, but I am not sure this answers my question... If I am looking at connection between adapter A and adapter B through the tpPLC utility, they are communicating with each other over the exact same circuit. I would expect the speed from A to B to be the same as the speed from B to A. However the tpPLC utility shows me something significantly different. Any idea why that is?

Options
2020-04-14 17:26:59

@Nemo7891 

Here is the info I was able to get from one of our engineers:

It's due to the noise source on power line. Electrical noise always has a greater impact on the reception performance of the node it is close to.

For example:

A ------ noise source ------------------------------------ C
A->C: the noise is attenuated as well as the signal.
C->A: the signal is attenuated, but the noise is not.

Options
2020-04-14 18:04:17

@Tony 
So just to clarify, if using tpPLC the speed from A to C shows 460Mbps and the speed from C to A shows 125Mbps, does this mean that the noise source is closer to A or to C?

Options
2020-04-15 20:39:34

@Nemo7891 

The answer would be closer to A.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 995

Replies: 5

Related Articles