AC750 WiFi Range Extender for Work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-17 06:19:28

Hi, everyone.  I'm wondering about using an AC750 WiFi range extender where I work.  It is a VERY large building (one aisle is 1/2 mile long) and the company provides free WiFi in most areas.  The problem is the break area I use is in a bit of a dead zone.  I can barely get a WiFi signal in there and when I do it drops frequently.  If I step out of the area around 50 ft or more away the signal is somewhat better.

I was searching for a WiFi range extender on Amazon and the TP-Link AC750 was one that had over 8,500 mostly positive reviews and a fairly low price.  I do not want to spent a lot of money on one.  WIll this work for what I need to boost the signal for the dead zone break area if I mount it on a column about 50 ft away?  I do not have access to the company routers if that is needed to initially setup the device.  I do know the SSID and logon info to get on the network.

Thanks for any help.

Options
4 Reply
Re:AC750 WiFi Range Extender for Work
2019-08-19 18:13:54

@RoadiJeff 

If there is more or less a clear line of sight the extender should give you the 50 feet needed. 

The extender will give you coverage, but it might not give you speed if that is what you were expecting as well.

For example, if you connect directly to the Wi-Fi, where you plan to put the extender, and say you get around 20 Mbps. With the extender (with any extender) you might get speeds around 12 Mbps. Reason being the devices need to send the data, then turn around and send it to you (aka half-duplex). 

If your wireless network only needs a wireless password to start receiving internet that should be all you need to give the extender. If your Wi-Fi has a portal that you need to log into by providing a username and password, the extender will not be able to do that.

Options
Re:Re:AC750 WiFi Range Extender for Work
2019-08-19 22:35:51

Tony wrote

If your wireless network only needs a wireless password to start receiving internet that should be all you need to give the extender. If your Wi-Fi has a portal that you need to log into by providing a username and password, the extender will not be able to do that.

Tony, thanks for your reply.  I am not too concerned with data speed, all I want it for is to surf some forums and read email during lunch and things.  I ws told that a co-worker who has since retired used to have some type of range extender that he attached to a column for that same area and took it down each day.  That's where i got the idea to do this.

However, to access the company network they require a name and password.  You indicated that this would not work with the AC750.  If that's the case, is there another model you might recommend that isn't too pricy?  I don't know what my former co-worker had but he apparently got something working.

Options
Re:AC750 WiFi Range Extender for Work
2019-08-20 19:07:24

@RoadiJeff 

If the signin is similar to a coffee shop or airport where you need to login, then ya, the extender can not do that. I am wondering if the extender was setup with the network regardless. Then connected to the extender from the computer, and tapped into the login page through their computer?

Options
Re:Re:AC750 WiFi Range Extender for Work
2019-08-21 14:28:25

I don't know what type of extender he had or how it worked.  I am thinking about buying the AC750 and seeing if it will work for this.  Amazon usually has a 30-day return window, so if I cannot get it to work I can send it back.

Thanks for the advice.  I will report back in this thread in the next few weeks on whether it worked or not.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1378

Replies: 4

Related Articles