Kasa - Smart Actions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa - Smart Actions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Kasa - Smart Actions
Kasa - Smart Actions
2019-08-30 16:36:15

Since getting the Kasa app update I've had a mixed experience using Smart actions.  For an example, I have a smart switch (HS220) and two smart plugs (HS103).  I want to turn on/off the two smart plugs when I toggle the smart switch.  I tried to accomplish this using smart actions in two different ways.

Option 1: No device grouping

1. Create a smart action for the light switch to toggle smart plug 1 
  2. Create a another smart action and to toggle smart plug 2

The results were mixed.  Sometimes it would work as expected, other times it wouldn't.  When it didn't sometimes only one plug was triggered.  Success rate was around 50% or less.

Option 2: Device Grouping

1. Create a group for smart plug 1 and 2, called "smart plugs"
  2. Create a smart action for the light switch to toggle group "smart plugs"

The results of this were 100% failure.  The odd thing is I can manually toggle the "smart plugs" group via the app and it works perfectly.  The smart actions don't seem to recignize the group at all.

The smart actions help within the app states you need to be using a smart home router (SR20).  Based on my experience using this new feature and what I've read elsewhere I don't think that is correct.

Can anyone else confirm the same issue, or has anyone been able to get this to work as I have described?

Options
16 Reply
Re:Kasa - Smart Actions
2019-09-03 22:53:40

@Eraseu2 

Please reinstall the app, and then test option 2.

Do you still get no response at all?

Options
Re:Re:Kasa - Smart Actions
2019-09-04 14:41:58

Tony wrote

@Eraseu2 

Please reinstall the app, and then test option 2.

Do you still get no response at all?

Oddly enough option 2 started working perfectly last night for some reason.  No changes were needed. 

Thanks for the reply.

Options
2019-12-10 05:35:09

@Eraseu2  Same thing here, I created two Scenes, "ON" and "OFF" with two HS220 in each. So I created Smart Actions that alternate each Scene at different times. It worked for a week and then it doesn't work anymore no matter what I do. If I test the Scene it works perfectly, but no longer in Smart Actions.

Options
2019-12-10 06:25:38

@Portes Recently I've been having issues with smart actions not working intermittently. I suspect the issue is on the TP-Link side.  After several months you still can't add more than 3 smart actions. That limitation might indicate things aren't fully baked just yet.  

My workaround was to create groups in Google Home that effectively accomplish the same task with a voice command. I prefer triggering things from the physical switch but if it falls I have a backup in place.  You could do the same with time of day triggers as well in Google Home (not sure about Alexa)

I'm confident they'll get these issues sorted out at some point. Hopefully sooner than later.

Options
2019-12-13 17:32:25

There have been some recent changes on the cloud server that should resolve any issues with smart actions. Please delete any existing ones, and recreate them again.

Options
2019-12-16 08:54:52

@Tony I tried to delete both the Smart Action as well as the group assocated with the Smart Action having the problem.  After doing that there was no change, the switch will simply not trigger the Smart Action.  

I further tested the same Smart Action, by removing the devices from the assocated group (2 Smart Bulbs LB120), and added a single device (Smart Plug HS100) .  That worked perfectly.  I then went back and added the 2 Smart Bulbs back to the group, now there are (1 Smart Plug, and 2 Smart Bulbs).  The Smart action triggered the Smart Plug on/off, no problem, the bulbs did nothing.  I can manually turn the bulbs on via the group, but those bulbs won't turn on or off via Smart Action with the group or indiviually.  

Based on my testing, the issue appears to be with the LB120's and Smart Actions.  Whatever was changed broke functionality with those bulbs.  They worked perfectly for months up until a few weeks ago, and haven't worked properly since.

Options
2019-12-21 04:13:36

@Tony Now it's working. Three days ago I deleted all Smart Actions and created it again, apparently everything is okay so far.

Options
2020-02-16 21:45:17

@Eraseu2 similar issues here. I've got a Kasa spot camera and three Kasa Smart Plug Lite switches connected to lights. In the Kasa iPhone app I've created three smart actions one per light, all triggered when the camera detects motion (I wanted to just have one smart action to turn on a group or scene with all three lights but that didn't seem to be an option).  Each smart action is the same except for which light it turns on. But only the first of the three works every time - the second one hardly ever works and the last one never works. These were all created within the last week of the this posting. I also don't have an SR20 router, but I agree that it's probably not needed since if it was, then none of my smart actions would  ever work at all. 

Options
2020-02-16 22:50:13

@Sashazur Your issue sounds similar to mine. Initially I didn't have any issues until one day the smart actions stopped working on one set of smart bulbs. At some point it just started working again with no changes from me, or firmware updates.

One difference is you're using 3 smart actions to trigger each of the lights. You should group those lights on the devices screen in the app (look for the + on the to right corner in the Kasa app). Once you create the group use one smart action to tiger the group. Hopefully that will get the job done and work consistently.

Options
2020-02-16 23:29:54

@Eraseu2 I'm using the iPhone Kasa Smart app, same for you or are you on android? When selecting devices for the smart action, it only lists individual devices; my groups aren't shown - and it only lets me select one device, not multiple. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4840

Replies: 16

Related Articles