Device connection when home network is cloned

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-03 21:14:37
Model: TL-WPA7510 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have home automation devices that need to be on the same wireless network as each other.  If I clone my home wireless network using my TL-WPA7510 and connect one of the home automation devices to the cloned network it appears to not function properly (it is not detected by the home automation hub).  In this situation are the devices actually on the same network (because of the cloning) or are they really on different networks that just have the same SSID and password as each other?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Device connection when home network is cloned
2019-09-03 23:04:42

@Winnett 

Make the SSIDs different. In the end when you connect to the powerline Wi-Fi you will still be on the same network of the router. Making the network names the same will confuse the client devices so they will try to connect to the farthest device even though one is near them. 

Options
2019-09-05 04:24:34

Thanks very much, Tony, for the help.  Seems to be working, now.  I'm curious, though, about your statement that if the SSIDs are the same then a device will try to connect to the farthest access point even though another connection point might be closer.  I'd really like to understand that better.  Can you explain a little, or point me to some more information about that?

Thanks, again, for the help.  I apprciate it.

Jeff

Options
2019-09-05 17:08:27

@Winnett 

Sure, usually customers will make all the SSIDs the same in hopes of just having one network to connect to for convienance. A issue with this setup is that it is assumed that devices will connect to the closest device. I usually see this with extender setups, but the extender nor the router controls where a client connects to its the device itself.

Customers then get a false impression that the extender is not working, but in reality their device is connecting to the router when they assume it is connecting to the extender.

So in your case yes, you will have to manually switch over to another network, but you will know for a fact that you are connected to the extender or router.

A situation where you would not have to worry is if you had a mesh network like our Deco units. In a mesh network you have one network to connect to, but the nodes direct the client device which one to connect to.

Options
2019-09-06 02:43:19

Thank you very much, Tony for the information.  I'll have to check out your mesh network product, it sounds interesting.  The Z-wave home automation devices (none of which I currently have) work similarly, I've read, setting up a mesh network amongst themselves.  In the meantime, I've enjoyded my extender and it has served my family well for almost two years.  The home automation stuff is new, lots to learn.

Options
2019-09-06 17:56:05

@Winnett 

You are very welcome.

You are right, if the extenders work for you then I would stay using it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1351

Replies: 5