Why does the LB110 upload so much data?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-14 19:19:06 - last edited 2019-09-15 01:04:01
Model: LB110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8.6

Hi, first question to the community.  I've used five LB110 bulbs for several years now.  This week I surpassed my ISP's data limit for other reasons but it got me sleuthing on my network usage in general.  From looking at my router logs filtered by device, I was surprised to see such high upload usage from all my bulbs.  I mean really surprised, as in why do light bulbs need to be sending over 20 GBytes up into the cloud.  List of my 5 bulbs below.  Do other LBxxx users see similar on their networks, is this a "China detour" of data leaking out of my network, or a symptom of malware/botnet doing its thing?  Thanks.

Bulb 1 = 18.2 GByte uploaded in the last month (I use this location a lot so this light is on the most)

Bulb 2 = 3.2 GBytes uploaded in the last month (not too frequently used location)

Bulb 3 = 2.5 GBytes uploaded in the lat month (again, not too frequently used location)

Bulb 4 = 1.0 GBytes uploaded in the last month (rarely used location)

Bulb 5 = 0.4 GBytes uploaded in the last month (rarely used location)

[EDIT]

Upin further analysis, the data upload for bulb #1 is very concentrated in time:

- From Aug15-Sept14, it uploaded 1GByte on one day of each week.  Then on on Aug20 it uploaded 8GBytes (enough for a couple HD movies).

- From July15-Aug14, it uploaded a total of 13GBytes with 4.5GBytes occuring on Aug11.  Around Aug11, it uploaded 2GBytes on Aug7,9,10,13.

At the end of the day this is a lightbulb, it's not clear what is the use case that is driving so much data upload.  This causes me to be concerned about surepticious data mining.  It would be useful to hear if other users are seeing the same usage amounts or have alternate theories on why this is occuring.  Thanks.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Why does the LB110 upload so much data?
2019-09-15 18:55:49 - last edited 2019-09-15 19:01:31

@JPK 

What is the receive level on bulb 1?

Maybe it's at the edge of your wifi and is reconnecting often?

Swap bulb 1 with bulb 5, and see if the high upload followes the bulb.

Options
2019-09-15 20:20:14 - last edited 2019-09-16 00:07:05

@B.Will 

Hi, B.Will, bulb #1 is about 10ft away from the router, to which it's connected on the 2.4GHz band.  The Kasa app shows Bulb #1 is receiving at -51dBm.  While the microwave is on the other far side of the house, it's not impossible that 2.4GHz congestion in the vicinity of neighbors could drive constant channel churn but still there's a ton of data uploading into space for a light bulb.  As I've been on the PC for the last hour, bulb #1 uploaded  about 2GBytes.

The idea of swapping #1 with #5 is a useful exercise.  It will take some time to accumulate enough data.  Thanks.

Upload graph for the past month Aug16-Sept15:

Upload graph for the prior month July16-Aug15

Options
2019-09-16 17:43:12

@JPK 

Please direct message the MAC address of bulb #1 and the email you use for your TP-Link ID. I can see what I can find for you.

Options
2020-03-30 18:19:44

@Tony  I'm seeing the same strange data uploads, and my bulbs KL130 and KL110 are very close to the router. I'm puzzled.

Options
2020-03-31 04:46:51

@akoo1010   Hi Tony, I wish I could provide clarity for you.  I never got satisfying answers from TP Link.  I jumped through their hoops of moving bulbs around and monitoring throughput and providing data.  Etc etc etc.  They eventually came to the "I-dunno" point where they stated the way I was using the bulbs was wrong in that I always turned the bulbs on/off from the wall switch rather than leaving the buib on and controlling it via the app.  But they couldn't answer why that draws 20GBytes per month.  In the end it's a mystery to them. 

Options
2020-03-31 19:35:53

@JPK 

Thank you for a update. I am sorry they were unable to help.

If you mainly use the bulb for local control what about possibly denying the device internet connectivity? We changed the remote control method to where you don't see it if it is enabled so I don't think you can uncheck it. You can look at the device settings to see if it is there to disable it.

Alternatively, maybe using the router to block any outward packets?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1389

Replies: 6