Should I expect any behavior changes from 3 of the same powerline adapters?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-15 19:29:05
Model: TL-PA4010 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I bought the Tl-PA4010 Kit a while ago and I get a slow but stable speed (They're very far away so that's okay). The question I have is, can I pair a 3rd kit that's basically in the next room from the powerline kit that's connected to the modem and get proper speeds or will having a 3rd one far away cause some sort of redundency? My expectation is to get atleast 100mb speed and I know it varies greatly by the quality of the wiring but will the communciation from that powerline attached to the router and the future one going into the other room, only travel a short distant and since it's graded up yo 600mb, there shouldn't be any "congestion", right? It should be as if those are the only two paired up.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Should I expect any behavior changes from 3 of the same powerline adapters?
2019-09-16 19:10:45

@Aarix 

The phsical wiring may be different then the actual location of the rooms, but if the adapter is closer to the main adapter in terms of the circut location it should perform well. The third adapter should not get in the way. As you test, make sure to try other outlets as you can get very different results with powerline adapters.

Options
2019-09-22 19:51:39

@Tony When setting up my network I found not only does it make a difference which outlet you choose but also the orientation of the device.  It might be best in the top socket facing up, in the top socket facing down, or either of the other options on a duplex socket.  Swapping to a different outlet on the same circuit could make a difference.  

Of course the biggest difference came from changing circuits so the adapters shared a breaker or were on the same leg and had newer wire and simpler wiring, but the polarity optimizations still helped a little.

Options
2019-09-22 19:55:45

@duncanSF 

For some reason my reply before didn't go through but that's what I would've said too. It came in and I was only getting 25mb but I decided to try it on the other outlet (Same position as the other kit that's connected to the modem) and got a full 100. Maybe more but there's a hardware limitation on the client device. The other kit far away also got an extra 2mb since it's a bit closer so everything went much better than expected. Thank you for your reply.

Options
2019-09-23 15:29:25

duncanSF wrote

@Tony When setting up my network I found not only does it make a difference which outlet you choose but also the orientation of the device.  It might be best in the top socket facing up, in the top socket facing down, or either of the other options on a duplex socket.  Swapping to a different outlet on the same circuit could make a difference.  

Of course the biggest difference came from changing circuits so the adapters shared a breaker or were on the same leg and had newer wire and simpler wiring, but the polarity optimizations still helped a little.

@duncanSF 

I know some users would flip the powerline adapter because they need the LAN port to be on the top rather then the bottom, but didn't realize it helped in speed to. Thanks for the tip.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1004

Replies: 4