Setting up/merging powerline network with wifi router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-19 23:32:19
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Good evening to all. I recently changed my ISP and upgraded my internet to a gigabit connection. As part of the upgrade, I purchased and installed two TL-WPA7510 kits and an Archer C7 router. I also installed on my phone the two related apps, Tether and tpPLC. The system so far has been working fine, but there's something bugging me.

When I check the physical setup using the apps, the router and each of the four powerline units show up individually; no single named network is identified. Is this the way it should appear, or have I missed doing something to unify the router and powerline units into one network? In other words, am I seeing a problem which doesn't actually exist?

Thanks in advance for the help, tolerance, and humoring me!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Setting up/merging powerline network with wifi router
2019-09-20 15:14:33

@GeneG 

Were you looking to utilize the OneMesh? If so, the firmware for OneMesh is out for the C7, but not for the powerline adapters.

Here is a link indicating which devices will get the OneMesh firmware: https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/compatibility/

One the firmware is released for the powerline adapters the notes will indicate if it has OneMesh: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-wpa7510-kit/#Firmware

The site is updated every Friday with respect for firmware updates so I would check weekly to see if anything new is there.

If you were not looking to use OneMesh, what you have is normal. You have three different wireless networks running the default SSID. You can change all of them to be the same using the respective app, but it won't work like a real mesh network. You can definately try the setup, but if you notice very weak signal, likely what is happening is even if you are close to a powerline for example, your device will still be connected to the router. 

In a mesh network, the networking devices can guide the devices where to connect to, in a non mesh network it is the device itself that determines where to connect to.

Options
2019-09-20 16:15:55

@Tony Hi, Tony, and thanks again for your assistance. I wasn't aware of One Mesh at all, and it sounds like something which will be incredibly useful. It does not appear to be available yet for the 7510 kit, so I guess I'll have to be patient. Knowing that the system is normal at present does make me feel better, but the wifi dead spots and slow speeds at some of the nodes are a bit annoying. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Options
2019-09-20 19:47:35

@GeneG 

You are welcome.

Personally I would have them named differently so you know that you are connected to the appropiate one.

Such as:

C7: mywifi

TL-WPA7510: mywifi-bedroom

TL-WPA7510: mywifi-den

Or you can really just keep the default names, it would not matter.

Some users just want one network to connect to rather then needing to manually switch networks, but I think it is better to know rather then hope.

But once the OneMesh firmware comes out, it would work perfect in your application.

Options
2019-09-20 21:41:48

@Tony 

Hi, Tony. I did keep the default names, just added an identifier at the end; i.e., LR for the iving room, Den, etc. According to the tpPLC app, the 7510 units both have the latest firmware, and One Mesh is not yet available for them. It's just one of those really annoying things!

Options
2019-10-11 00:14:15

@Tony 

Hi

in your link https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/compatibility/ I can see 18 tp-link product that supose to suport one-mesh, but only 4 that have firmware updates for it to work (2 of them are routers so extenders are only 2), is that correct? is not of much use for now I think, at last for me couse I have a lot of extenders but 3 are powerline 4220 and others are rd200, but i will be watching for any update !!!

by the way it will be any firmware update for Tp-link Wa850re extender?

thanks, Federico

Options
2019-10-11 16:11:10

@GeneG 

You are right about mesh capable devices currently, updates will continue to be rolling out. 

The TL-WA850RE is still a current product, there has not been any news of an update. Usually our website releases firmware if any on Fridays. The only time I would not expect a firmware update is if a device becomes end of life. At which case the only time a update will come out for the device is if there is a security issue that is identified.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3043

Replies: 6