First Time User - OneMesh versus other options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-26 22:38:05

I just hooked up an Archer A7 to my hotspot modem and it works as expected, but I'd like to extend the range of the 5Ghz network. The Archer A7 manual mentions OneMesh and the RE300 Extender but being new to this, and seeing a lot of different extenders from TP Link and other companies, I'm trying to see what RE would be the best with this router and whether OneMesh works with more than one RE, or if another RE would be better option even if it doesn't work with OneMesh.

Options
5 Reply
Re:First Time User - OneMesh versus other options
2019-09-27 15:47:06

@forkmedia 

With range extenders including OneMesh it is recommended to have no more then two extenders. The RE300 and the RE220 both will work with OneMesh. If you need a extender to have a Ethernet port for a wired device go for the RE220. If you just need a wireless signal go for the RE300.

Options
2019-09-27 16:02:25

@Tony 

I was not clear enough in my original post. When I said more than one extender I meant models, not the number of extenders in one network.

On one page I saw about OneMesh there was a list of a half dozen extenders for OneMesh that work with the Archer A7 besides the RE300, like the RE220 and RE305. Is the 305, which has a larger model number,  better? Why?

Also, I don't understand why OneMesh and the extenders that work with it, are better than say, the RE450.

I'm anxious to buy something soon but don't want to get the wrong extender or an outdated item and have to return it.

Thanks for your reply,

TW

Options
2019-09-27 16:23:53 - last edited 2019-09-27 17:35:20

@forkmedia 

Here is a page about OneMesh to become familiar on what it is. The aim is to provide a mesh network without having to reinvest buying all new routers: https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/

Thre is nothing wrong with the RE450, it is a really popular extender for the coverage it provides. All extenders work the same so which ever you choose will work regardless. 

In the end all extenders will have OneMesh or that is at least the aim is for. 

As far as extender that are new, the RE300 and RE220 have came out recently, the RE305 has been out for a bit of a year. For the other extenders you can gauge based on the firmware or the inital firmware release.

Options
2019-10-24 12:37:20 - last edited 2019-10-24 12:39:41

@Tony  can you prove your words? I am still waiting for an update of the RE305 and other TP link employyes mention that only listed devices at https://www.tp-link.com/onemesh/compatibility will be onemesh compatible. I love your passion for the aims of TP Link with OneMesh, on the other hand I am disapointed while waiting for a firmware update for the RE305. Feel free to invite me to a beta program.

@forkmedia If you want to use OneMesh now you need to take the RE300. I would be also interested to use a AC1750 range extender but best option (still) listed as coming soon is the RE305

Tony wrote

@forkmedia 

Here is a page about OneMesh to become familiar on what it is. The aim is to provide a mesh network without having to reinvest buying all new routers: https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/

Thre is nothing wrong with the RE450, it is a really popular extender for the coverage it provides. All extenders work the same so which ever you choose will work regardless

In the end all extenders will have OneMesh or that is at least the aim is for. 

As far as extender that are new, the RE300 and RE220 have came out recently, the RE305 has been out for a bit of a year. For the other extenders you can gauge based on the firmware or the inital firmware release.

Options
2019-10-24 12:49:19

@CharlieB 

You responded to an older post.

I bought a RE305 a month ago and it works fine for my situation.

Set up took minutes. Didn't need OneMesh. If they release an update for RE305 so it can do OneMesh I doubt I would need it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1505

Replies: 5

Related Articles