Can I set my HS105 plug to an open or different network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-27 19:04:47
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.4

OK, bit of an odd question here: Is it possible to set an HS105 plug to an OPEN wifi network? 

Reason/Background: I have a network router that keeps losing its connection to my Internet modem. My internet modem (provided by Xfinity/Comcast) stays online, but the signal does not go any farther than the router... so other devices (including wireless) do NOT get Internet signal. The only solution when this happens, is to reboot the modem manually (power off/power on).

When this happens and I am OUT of the house, I need someone to physically crawl under my desk to reset the router... UNLESS I can find a way to turn it off/on remotely.

I had an idea that I could, perhaps, do this using a smart plug (my HS105), but the plug needs to be connected to the wifi network in the house. I DO have an OPEN wifi network (the one provided by Xfinity through all of their modems), nsd this stays up when the router stops working... but the HS105 will not connect to it because it seems to require a secure connection! 

Note: I do NOT use the built-in wireless from Xfinity, since I have wireless access l controlled through my router. So opening another wifi would only cause issues with the other signals.

Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated!

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can I set my HS105 plug to an open or different network?
2019-09-27 19:35:08

@eli014 

The answer is no and yes to what you want to do.

No, the plug can not be connected to a open network by desing due to security reasons. However, what you can do is to set up the plug on a password protected network, once the plug is set up, configure a schedule to turn on and off at what ever time you want. Now, the schedule or on/off is saved internally so Wi-Fi is not needed. You can now move the plug, to where you need it, and from there the plug will perform those functions by itself.

Before you actually apply the setup, do a simple test locally just to make sure it checks out.

Options
Re:Can I set my HS105 plug to an open or different network?
2019-09-27 20:59:21

@Tony Thanks....but I tried that already. The problem is that the Router will go off-line at different times each day. For a while it only happened around 5am, but yesterday when I was out of town, it happened at 3 in the afternoon! 

Fortunately my wife was home, but asking her to crawl under my desk and fiddle with things is both difficult to explain, and unconfortable. 

I might have to turn on the Xfinity Wifi just for this silly purpose. Ugh!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1779

Replies: 2