Votes

Why no TP-Link plug in with dimming???

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-02 06:40:39

Why is there no TP-Link plug in module with dimming and local control at the controlled device? Other technologies have had these for literally decades. This is NEEDED for quality lighting control of lamps, strips, etc. A simple on-off command doesn't cut it these days. Nor does shoving the couch out of the way to reach behind it to push that little button on the side to turn on the table lamp when you can't find the remote (phone). I would buy a dozen or more Minis if they just had the dimming feature. Now I will buy three because without dimming I will be forced to use competing brands.

no

Options
2 Reply
Re:Why no TP-Link plug in with dimming???
2019-11-04 18:24:47

@BillyRay888 

Quite honestly Smart dimming plugs are very niche market.  In review i was only able to find two, one from GE and the other from Levetron.  Both however were not able to be grounded, meaining they did not have the 3 prong.  We will however forward this to our R and D team to review. 

Options
Re:Why no TP-Link plug in with dimming???
2019-11-04 23:10:53

@Carl Module dimming and local control would be considerd a "niche market" only because most manufacturers don't offer it. There was a reason X-10 and Insteon products were so popular for so many years. They were extremely flexible and offered features like this long before other manufacturers even existed. For now I'm keeping all my X-10 modules as I use them all the time. The only drawback is they don't integrate well with current wi-fi technologies. But they are orders of magnitude more reliable than my wi-fi units. Consumers need something between all the "dumbed down" tech being sold now and the high end pro installations costing thousands of dollars.

Carl wrote

@BillyRay888 

Quite honestly Smart dimming plugs are very niche market.  In review i was only able to find two, one from GE and the other from Levetron.  Both however were not able to be grounded, meaining they did not have the 3 prong.  We will however forward this to our R and D team to review. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 689

Replies: 2

Voters 1