HOW DO I CHANGE MY WIFI PASSWORD FOR MY SMART WIFI PLUG AND LIGHT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-05 23:04:37 - last edited 2020-11-17 16:20:43

I changed my wifi password and now my lights don't work.  I can't find anywhere in the kasa app how to update the wifi password.  HELP!!!

Options
9 Reply
Re:HOW DO I CHANGE MY WIFI PASSWORD FOR MY SMART WIFI PLUG AND LIGHT
2019-11-06 19:41:19

@AMP02864 

There is not a single click all method to do that. What will need to be done is the device will need to be reset, then added back to Kasa where you will join it to the new network.

Options
2019-11-17 00:30:28 - last edited 2019-11-17 00:31:10

@Tony This is an area that needs to be addressed.  I have about 20 Kasa devices, and when I have moved to a different SSID or password, I have to reset & reconfigure each device.  Given that this process can take several minutes for each device, it can take a couple hours to reconfigure all the devices.  (It's even worse with "C-by-GE" devices!)

There can be a number of reasons to change an SSID or password frequently, and a way to change everything in a group through the Kasa app, would be a HUGE benefit.

Ideally, each device would hold TWO SSID/password combos, so that if an SSID/password update failed, it could revert to the previous SSID/password.  But even without that feature, if the group update failed on some Kasa devices & had to be done individually, that's better than the present situation of manually redoing ALL devices.

Options
2019-11-19 22:58:34

@DeanGibson 

I agree 100%. 

I willl make sure devs know about this.

Options
2019-11-25 16:49:47
Hi. I just had this problem when getting a new modem. It seemed, though, as if the refrigerator motor did not kick in for ~12 hours (when I noticed it) even though the refrig lights worked. Light was solid orange and I pressed and held to reset, then refrig motor came on.Coincidence or is there some problem when wifi is lost? It seems as if it refrig motor was not on at all after modem switch but I'm not 100% sure. When I brought up Kasa app, to figure out how to set new password, I ended up installing as new plug, wiping to factory defaults, then new SSID & PW. Fortunately, I have only the one plug but this would absolutely have been a pain with more. Thanks, George
Options
2019-11-25 22:39:47

@Woodsy 

If you had any schedule, those still should have continued. If the plug was in the off position, I believe resetting it will put it to the on position. The solid amber was the indicatino of no network connection.

Options
2019-11-25 22:51:38

@Tony Thanks. So it shouldn't have turned off the refrig motor? The more I think about it doesn't make sense unless there's a wattage output limit... . I had no schedule set, I just wanted to measure draw of an old refrigerator to do cost savings of new one.

Thanks again!

George

Options
2019-11-25 23:01:48

@Woodsy 

The plugs don't have a fail off switch so if it was always on the on position that is odd if it did go off.

If anything look at the max amperage of the plug you are using, then check the maker of the motor. What you don't want is the potential of it spiking above the max amperage or you could fry the plug.

Options
2020-11-16 23:01:39

Hello I see this post is a year old.  Has this been addressed and is there a working solution to change the WIFI password for Kasa devices before or after the WIFI password has been changed on the wireless access point?  I have cameras, light bulbs, light switches and plugs that all need changed.  Please advise.  Thanks.

Options
2020-11-17 16:20:14

@Maxfli66 

You need to reset each device then add it back to Kasa, there is not a way to reset all the Kasa devices at once.

Options

Information

Helpful: 44

Views: 30750

Replies: 9

Related Articles