RE300 mesh issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE300 mesh issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
RE300 mesh issue
RE300 mesh issue
2019-11-14 00:15:23
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello. 

Am having difficulty with my new RE300. This product says that it is a "mesh" device, but only seems to be acting as an extender.

When setting the device up, it autofills my existing network name with an "_EXT" behind it. 

So, this forces me to manually switch network names when coming into the range of the extender itself.

And these new "EXT" networks only perform at half speed of my existing network, much like an extender would perform.

I tried changing the names of the RE300 networks to the same SSID of my main network and this renders the device moot..all of the lights function, but the amplification of the signal is disabled.

So I'm not sure what I've done wrong, or if the product misrepresents itself as a "mesh" device. 

Any thoughts?

Options
1 Reply
Re:RE300 mesh issue
2019-11-14 17:24:55

@Fivetricks 

The router that you are using needs to support OneMesh. Here is a link to the TP-Link routers that have the OneMesh feature: https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/compatibility/

If you do have a router that is running the latest firmware and OneMesh compatible, you can reference this FAQ that will show you all the various ways you can add the RE300 to the OneMesh network: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2509/

With respect to the extender and the speed, all range extenders work in half duplex. Meaning the data is sent, then received from it where as a router is full duplex where both actions are done at the same time. So you may see a difference in speed when connecting to a extender versus connecting directly to the router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1109

Replies: 1

Related Articles