Extender and AT&T wifi router seem to be competing in signal overlap areas

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-24 22:33:08
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm using the RE650 Extender on my home network which has an AT&T wireless router at its hub.

We're having problems with devices dropping connection or getting "confused" apparently in areas where the main router and extender overlap. I've searched here but haven't found anything on this issue.

All help would be appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Extender and AT&T wifi router seem to be competing in signal overlap areas
2019-11-25 21:46:54 - last edited 2019-11-25 22:58:20

@elconquistador 

If you have the wireless network name the same on the extender and the AT&T device that is why. Having the same name is convienant but the drawback is what you are experiencing. 

The extender nor the router controls what the client device connects to like a mesh network does. What you are left with is the client device swapping networks which causes network drops.

Best course of action is to have both network names different so when you are physically near a device you know what network to connect to.

Options
2019-11-25 22:48:02

@Tony Great answer. I did name them both the same because I thought that's right way to do it. I'll make the change and see what happens.

Thanks

Options
2019-11-25 22:59:10

@elconquistador 

Sounds good.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1184

Replies: 3