Parental controls not working properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-02 23:50:19
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.17.1 Build 20180125 Rel.56387n

I remember setting this router with parental controls with no issues years ago.  I use the parental controls to whitelist sites during restricted hours, and access control to ban sites entirely (deny option); they both worked without issues.  I upgraded to the latest firmware and currently, I have the need to set again some restrictions for web surfing.

I have nothing entered in access controls and it is set as enabled with deny option.  Setting the enable flag on or off doesn't make a difference.  What is supposed to be happening is when you set up a computer in the parental list you are setting the enabling criteria of what and when sites are allowed.  Well, this is not happening.  Parental control blocks ALL access for restricted computers; only parent computers can surf.  i.e. I set my tablet to anytime schedule and I whitelisted: www.cnn.com, cnn.com, m.cnn.com, youtube.com, www.youtube.com, m.youtube.com.....just to be sure I can access those two sites.  Well, enabling parental control does not provide access to CNN or youtube at all.  Thinking probably it is intended fo NOT allowed (like my NetGear or D-link, not sure which one was it; operating as a blacklist) I tried accessing www.yahoo.com, www.google.com....nothing!

Computers not listed also cannot access anything, so in summary, enabling parental controls is about the same as turning the router for all but the parent computer.

is there something that needs to be set somewhere else to allow parental controls to work?  I read some threads about disabling NAT boost, I did, nothing.

Also, if you could, since I can only fix one computer as parent, is there an easy way to allow other computers unrestricted access while having parental controls enabled?

Thank you very much for your help.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Parental controls not working properly
2019-12-03 00:36:03

@GusCT 

Adding a little more information to the posting.  Since parental controls enabling completely blocks the access, I tried not doing it that way but enabling access control and denying access to my tablet to youtube.  Saved, rebooted, and..... nothing!.  I can access youtube without an issue.  tried adding cnn.com, etc....same thing doesn't deny anything.

does this mean the router is busted?  is there any diagnostic tool or can I download a previous working firmware?

thanks,

Gus

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 838

Replies: 1