Votes

Away mode vs Random offset to schedule

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-09 02:40:17 - last edited 2019-12-09 21:53:03
Model: HS105-KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The away mode is much to random for my liking, and I don't believe it accurately simulates the behavior of our family if we are away.    What I would much prefer is a random offset (e.g. +/- 15 minutes) to the scheduled time.    I don't get home from work, start cooking dinner, go into the family room or go to bed, at the exact same time (to the minute) every day.    An daily random offset would better simulate my lifestyle and not give the (they're away) robot program look.   Has Kasa / TP-Link explored adding this capabiilty?   If sorry if it has been discussed before but it seems like an intituitive feature.    I know Kasa is adding an offset to sunrise / sunset, so maybe this can be an enhancement from that capability.    Thank you for your attention and support.        

Options
3 Reply
Re:Away mode vs Random offset to schedule
2019-12-11 22:54:02

@PeterFNJ 

Thank you for the suggestion.

The away mode is completely random making it hard to really determine when it would turn on. Like you mentioned, using the sunset/sunrise offset would help or setting various schedules.

Options
2019-12-12 01:51:22

@Tony 

Tony,

I am sorry if I was not clear.   What I am suggesting is an enhancement to the "Schedule" capability.    Yes,  I want to schedule my lights, but I want to put an "random offset" on the start and end time.    Let me give you an example.    Say I want a light to go on at 5pm and off at 11pm.    With a random offset, the light might go on at 4:52 and off at 11:03.   The next day it might be 5:06 and 10:57.    The day after that it might be 5:02 and 11:07.    I hope you get the picture.   

If you have ever watched the movie "Home Alone", the burglars know that the home is empty by sitting outside and watching the light go on and off a EXACTLY the same time every night.   It is a dead giveaway that everything is on a timer.

My 15 year old Intermatic mechanical timer has this random offset feature, and it works great.  If you Google Intermatic timer Random, here's what you will find.

Random mode: the timer operates randomly at +/- 15 minutes from scheduled events

I was hoping Kasa / TP-Link would incorporate this function into your product.    If you guys are stuck, I have a several really good software developers on my team who could give you a hand.   Please answer back if my request is not clear.    Thank you for your assistance.

Options
2019-12-13 18:56:48

@PeterFNJ 

Thank you for the explanation. I will be sure to forward this to our devs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1006

Replies: 3

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.