open ground

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

open ground

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
open ground
open ground
2020-01-17 21:11:01
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have an open ground on the outlet where the manin power adapter is plugged into. Can this cause a problem with the network? Also, what is the max distance that I can set the adapters away from each other?

Options
1 Reply
Re:open ground
2020-01-24 21:00:03

@apseedorff 

Aside from having an open ground is BAD - BAD - BAD, the answer is "it depends on which Powerline adapters you have."  The earliest adapters used the hot and neutral wires.  However, the latest AV specs allow the adapters to choose any two of the three wires.  A bried search turned up this article from 2015.  https://www.pcworld.com/article/2868314/the-essential-guide-to-buying-a-homeplug-ethernet-adapter-including-6-hands-on-reviews.html

Maximum distance appears to be a mystery.  I searched as you must have and got nothing but anecdotes and opinions.  Speed drops off dramatically as (a) the distance gets greater, and (b) the number of adapters increases.  With only two adapters, you might get 400 ft. but not blazing speed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 594

Replies: 1