TL-WR802N For Privet WiFi Network No Internet access needed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-23 21:43:41

Is it possible to use the TL-WR802N to create a wifi network that can be accessed by multiple cell phones for private two way radio communication without connecting the TL-W802N to an ethernet connection?

In other words can the wifi signal that the unit broadcasts be connected to by multiple phones? I do not need to have access to the WWW just the other devices connected to the broadcasted wifi network?

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-WR802N For Privet WiFi Network No Internet access needed
2020-01-24 16:02:18

@MichaelJ 

Yes, you can certainly do that. It would work the same with any router. What will happen is when you connect the router will give you a private IP address, something like 192.168.0.100. Once all devices are connected, you could log into the router and see what devices got what IP address then communicate with them after. What you could also do is reserve the MAC address of those devices to have a specific IP address so it will never change. By default the private IP addresses are handed out dynamically, they tend to stay the same, but might change.

Here is how you can reserve a local IP for a device on your router: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1800/

Options
2020-01-24 16:15:10

@Tony, thanks for getting back with me on this. I know it all depends on the situation and environment but do you know what the open air straight line of sight range might be on these little units??

Options
2020-01-27 18:52:40

@MichaelJ 

Unfortunately we don't have solid numbers with respect to testing distance, but third party reviewers have mentioned around 50 feet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 605

Replies: 3