Seeing double devices in SmartThings - one as "placeholder"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-31 05:07:33
Model: KP100KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.4

I've had 2 Slim Edition plugs (from KP100KIT) and 1 HS105 running very successfully for about 6 months.  I operate them via Alexa (Echo Dot) and my SmartThings Hub.  I recently added a HS107 "double plug" - I've installed it, it appears in my device lists in the KASA app, Alexa app, and in SmartThings, but am currently not using it yet.  I installed via the KASA app - all look good in that app.  I "found new device" in Alexa - that worked.  I also added it in SmartThings Hub - this is where something strange (to me) happened.  In SmartThings. I see two entries for each of my KP100 plugs and HS105 - I can turn them on-and-off, but one of the "duplicate" entries shows "Type" of "Placeholder".  The "placeholder" entries for the KP100, HS105, and HS107 all show a "link" such as TP-LINK|:HS105(US)|:800629655A9580EEB1067700CE4E71F71A530FF3.  

I don't know what to do to get rid of the double devices - what is this "placeholder" trying to tell me?  Should I remove all the devices and re-discover them?  I'd appreciate some insight and suggestions.  Thanks.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Seeing double devices in SmartThings - one as "placeholder"
2020-01-31 18:45:24

@TxEddyBill 

It looks like the smart things shows the device address used to add it to the program. I haven't seen that when I added my lights and plugs. 

I searched and see other users are having the same issue with other brands, something about the new version of SmartThings and how they designate the smart devices.

I'd go with removing everything and adding them again on SmartThings.

Options
2020-01-31 23:55:07

@Tony 

Thanks - I'll give that a try.  As I said, I can turn my lights on-and-off, but I don't like seeing "double entries" for each.

Options
2020-01-31 23:59:14

@Tony 

I did as suggested - I first searched and noticed a new firmware was available for my TP-Link devices, so did the update for each.  I them deleted all of them in SmartThings.  Things straightened out.  I now have a single device entry for each of my plugs and everything seems to be working as it did previously.  So I can now move forward with utilizing my new HS107 "double plug".  Thanks!

Options
2020-02-03 22:11:01

@TxEddyBill 

Thx for providing the steps and solution.

Glad everything is working.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1384

Replies: 4