RE220 indicates Host router does not support OneMesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-02 05:51:04
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20191024 Rel. 48180

I just purchased and set up an Archer A7 specifically so I could use it to host a mesh network in my home. 

After installing it, configuring it and updating its firmware to the latest version. (1.0.11 Build 20190810 rel.50990(5553), Hardware version Archer A7 v5.0). I then added my RE200 to the Archer's wireless networks.

I tryed to enable OneMesh, but the RE220 says that "The host router does not support OneMesh".

What gives?

I purchased these two exactly because they are supposed to support OneMesh.

Options
5 Reply
Re:RE220 indicates Host router does not support OneMesh
2020-02-03 18:10:31

@AkaMrBill 

The RE220 may be the one with the older firmware that does not have OneMesh since the router was recently updated.

Here is a link to the firmware: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/re220/#Firmware

Here is how you would update it: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1406/

Options
2020-02-04 14:41:45 - last edited 2020-02-04 14:54:30

@Tony ,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input, but that's not the cause of the problem. Both the router and the extender have the latest firmware loaded on them.

After playing with both of them for an extendedperiod yesterday I was able to get the to into a OneMesh mode.  Basically I had to do a factory reset and then use the quick set up mode in Tether on both.

That presents a bigger problem! The problem is, I need to use the A7 as an Access Point as well as using the RE220 as an extender. Apparently the A7  cannot operate in OneMesh mode while acting as an Access Point.While acting as a router, the A7 also provides DHCP. I have a Ubiquiti EdgeMax that I use as a Firewall, Router, and DHCP server, so I only need the A7 to be an Access Point, and the RE220 to extend the WiFi to a low coverage area in my home.

Is  there a way to configure the A7 as a OneMesh Access Point paired with the RE220 in OneMesh mode?

BK

Options
2020-02-04 18:29:26

@AkaMrBill 

Interesting find, thanks for that.

You should be able to keep the A7 in router mode keeping the OneMesh active.

To configure the A7, assign a static IP to it where it is on the same subnet of your main router, then disable the DHCP server in the A7. The Ethernet cable that provides internet to the A7 would then be moved to the LAN port. In this configuration, the A7 would be operating like an AP.

The alternative is to leave the A7 as is in router mode, and do double port forwarding as needed or you can get a Deco M5, and just set that to AP Mode, it keeps the mesh functionality without needed to do addiitonal configurations.

Options
2020-05-19 05:11:55

@Tony  I am in the same exact boat.  My modem is connected to my main router (first router) which is a Archer C7 V2.  I have dead spots so I bought a new Archer A7 and set it as an access point.  It is wired from the C7 router to a switch and then from the switch to the A7 router. Was hoping to have the same network name like a mesh, but that didnt happen.  I read I could but have not tried as it works for what I need it to do.  But, the new one still doesnt reach quite far enough so I bought a RE220.  It is working but will not let me choose onemesh.  I am extending the A7 so why not?  I am guessing the same reason as the OP here.  Or at least very similar.  I would like to have all these devices have one network name because for some reason my iphone doesnt switch auto to the best signal.  Os i have to switch from room to room.  Can someone help me out please?

Options
2020-05-20 20:11:10

@RussellW504 

The A7 can not be in access point mode, it must be in router mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3025

Replies: 5

Related Articles