Linking plug to activity of another plug

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-17 20:50:51 - last edited 2020-03-07 15:25:50
Model: HS300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

To save power, I've set a schedule to turn off several devices like my soundbar and subwoofer at night when when I'm fairly ceratin no one is using them. This works reasonably well but it would be much more effiecient if I could just create a rule that would turn on the plugs for the soundbar and subwoofer when the TV is on and turn off the plug when TV is off. There doesn't seem to be any option for this in the Kasa app. The TV plug would stay on so that the app would be able to detect the power usage to determine the state of the TV. My TV uses less than a half watt when off.

The rule would be:

When TV Power consumption is more than 1 watt, turn On Soundbar Plug and Subwoofer Plug.

When TV Power cunsumption is less than 1 watt, turn Off Sounbar Plug and Subwoofer Plug.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Linking plug to activity of another plug
2020-02-21 16:00:22 - last edited 2020-02-21 16:00:41

@BSR 

There isn't a power detection feature for the smart plugs, currently we just have Smart Actions that works off of a specified device being turned on or off.

That is a feature I will be sure forward to our devs.

Options
2020-03-07 15:24:25

@Tony 

I did come up with a workaround using a Sense energy monitor and IFTTT. I have the Kasa smart plugs linked to Sense. Using IFTTT, I've created a rule where If Sense detects TV powering on, IFTTT will activate a Scene with Kasa that powers on the Soundbar and Subwoofer plugs.

It's not the most graceful operation since it doesn't seem to activate if my phone screen is locked.

Options
2020-03-09 17:54:40

@BSR 

Thank you for that.

I tend to use Alexa routines to extra functionality, but haven't really looked at IFTTT.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 704

Replies: 3

Related Articles