Additional ports on AV1200 powerline adapter not working, "no ip address available"?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Additional ports on AV1200 powerline adapter not working, "no ip address available"?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-22 22:52:23
Model: TL-PA8030P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I just hooked up a pair of AV1200 3 port powerline adapters. The powerline function works great, and I'm getting good speed upstairs.

Obviously the 3 ports on the adapter means I can hook up three devices upstairs, but what about the additional ports on the adapter connected to the router? I figured this adapter would work like a mini 2 port switch, allowing my to hook up two additional devices essentially directly to the router. Which would be great, because I have 5 devices next to the router, so the 3 remaining ports on the router and the 2 remaining ports on the AV1200 would be just enough for all the devices.

However, I tried hooking up my VOIP Obi device to one of the ports on the AV1200 and it doesn't appear to work. When I try to make a call, it gives the no connection sound, followed by "IP address not available". When connect it back to one of the router ports directly it works just fine.

So are those 2 other ports not functional on the powerline adapter connected to the router? Or am I using it wrong somehow? It should all be plug and play, no? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Additional ports on AV1200 powerline adapter not working, "no ip address available"?
2020-02-23 16:34:50

@RTB 

I agree with your assumption.  All of the ethernet ports should work, even to devices on the same adapter.  I have the PA9020 model, which has two ethernet jacks. There are other PA9020's scattered around the house that connect to TV's, switches, security cameras, etc.  On the primary hub, one cable goes to a switch and the other has a cable that I use for "stuff".  I plug that cable into one of a couple of laptops and can connect to any device on the network, even those that are on that switch.  (i.e. never going across the Powerline network.)

One thing that caused me issues at first was the "power saving" mode.  If a device is not plugged into the Powerline adapter for some amount of time, the damn thing "turns off".  I was trying to look at the Powerline Utility and suddenly one of the adapters was "gone".  Well, I had sync'd it up all right, but had not connected anything to it.  I used the tpPLC utility program to turn off power saving mode. It's on the "Advanced" tab for each adapter.

You might try changing that setting and see if it makes any difference.

Options
Re:Additional ports on AV1200 powerline adapter not working, "no ip address available"?
2020-02-26 00:24:59

@RTB 

Have you tried connecting your VOIP to the second powerline adapter, as far as the main powerline adapter the other two ports should work like you assume. If you wire a computer to the main powerline adapter do you get the same IP issue?

Options
2020-06-01 15:46:19

@UnWired 

Can't understand how you managed that as 9020P as I have is not a listed device on the app info. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1143

Replies: 3

Related Articles