TP-Link AV500 2-Port Powerline Adapter - Different Subnet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-24 23:13:46

Good Evening,

I've been using TP-Link AV500 2-Port Powerline Adapter kit for a few years now and it's works good.  No issues with connectivity. 

We are using it to connect my router to our TV and Xbox One, which works with no problems. Over the weekend, I was attempting to connect to the Xbox One from our Windows 10 PC.  After multiple attempts, my PC was not able to see the console.  I checked further, and noticed the PC will not see the Xbox unless it's on the same subnet.  

I checked the TV and Xbox, and sure enough they are on a different subnet then the rest of my network.

Home Network - 192.168.0.1
PowerLine (Xbox and TV) - 192.168.100.1

I didn't set it up this way, and even though everything is working (outside of the Xbox/PC connecting), it's bugging the crap out of me :) . I tried using the tlplc utitlity to see if I could modify the Powerline to not dish out DHCP addresses, but I saw no option to do so.

Is there anything I can do to get the devices connected to the Powerline adapter into the same subnet as the rest of my network?

Thanks!

Options
5 Reply
Re:TP-Link AV500 2-Port Powerline Adapter - Different Subnet
2020-02-26 19:18:58

@Chimley 

I believe you are using the TL-PA4020P powerline adapters or wired only powerline adapters. With our wired only powerline adapters they only relay the network connection, and do not operate like a router. So if you are seeing different IP address, you need to track where that connection leads to as there is another networked device that is distributing a 192.168.100.x IP subnet.

Options
2020-02-26 19:35:13

@Tony Thank you for that clarification.  Sounds like I have another router hanging around causing some issues. 

Appreciate it! 

Options
2020-02-26 23:01:11

@Chimley 

Welcome.

What you can do is steal the Ethernet cable form the Xbox and plug that into a computer, see what the gateway address is and enter that in the web browser. That might take you to the login page and see what device it is.

Options
2020-02-26 23:09:32

@Tony I found the issue.  Our security and alarm company installed another router for the monitoring equipment.  And I didn't realize I had "borrowed" one of the ports from that router.  I feel like an idiot :)

Thanks for the reply!

Options
2020-02-27 16:33:42

@Chimley 

No problem at all. Others may come across this same issue so it should help them knowing how your problem was resolved.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1536

Replies: 5

Related Articles