kc200 outdoor cameras keep changing AP and settings.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-21 21:25:40
Model: KC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello.

I have 2 KC200 cameras monitoring points where we've had attempted break ins and theft (our 3 seasons room on the back of the house/back door and the driveway/front door).  I want to add 2-3 more, but as long as this issue persists, I will not.

That said, I have 2 separate issues.

1. My cameras will randomly change which AP they are connected to. I have Comcast internet and have a set of 3 pods to make a wifi mesh network to get internet out to the garage. I bought the pods mostly for the cameras and since I work on cars from time to time and use the internet to look up issues im having problems diagnosing as well as ordering parts. For some stupid reason the cameras will initially connect to their closest respective pod but will eventually connect to the gateway on the opposite side of the house in the basement (no wonder I got the pods, huh?).  This makes it very difficult to view live stream as well as making it difficult for the camera to save video clips. To remedy this big irritation I have to go manually unplug them and plug them back in to get them to connect to the correct pod again.

2. The cameras will change sensitivity settings around once a week, backing the movement duration slider all the way back to 1 second which causes many false alerts from things like shadows from cloud movement on a sunny day on the garage camera and the motion light on the back porch setting off the 3 seasons room camera since I have motion lights with a bulb saver and night light feature (stays dim till it detects movement, then ramps up bulb brightness as not to shock bulbs to make them last longer).  This is also a very irritating issue since this is a setting that should not change on its own once set and dialed in.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:kc200 outdoor cameras keep changing AP and settings.
2020-04-22 15:03:00

@tasios77 

1. That is happening because you have multiple networking devices with the same network name and password. This happens to people who have a router and a range extender named the same and see their devices connect back and forth. The solution is to have an SSID that is unique to that AP unit, but with you using a mesh network I am not sure if that is possible or to have one pod broadcast a unique SSID for it alone.

2. Do a complete factory default on one of the cameras by holding the reset for 20 seconds. Delete the camera form the Kasa app then add it back, change the settings again, and see if it still changes. Reinstalling the camera will also check to see if the firmware is up to date.

Options
Re:kc200 outdoor cameras keep changing AP and settings.
2020-04-22 17:41:38

@Tony 

Will do, and thank you sir. I have no idea if I can set up the pods to have unique id's, but it sure is worth me looking into. Thanks for the quick responses and hopefully solutions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 777

Replies: 2