LB120 Can't enable remote control or download the newer firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-30 00:25:27
Model: LB120  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.1

I had no issues in the standard setup except it wanted to upgrade the firmware and that failed. It also fails if I try to do it later in the Kasa app.

The big issue is the bulb is not discoverable by Alexa which is why I bought it.

The problem is that I can't enable remote control, as soon as I slide it on in the app I get the error "failed: cloud send cmd failed."

I have done the full reset suggestion and no help. I also done the firewall steps and DNS checks.

Options
8 Reply
Re:LB120 Can't enable remote control or download the newer firmware
2020-04-30 01:45:35

@Teviot 

Remote control option was removed awhile ago.

Do you have the latest App on the phone?

Try deleting the App, then install using the same account info.

Then reset and reconnect the LB120

Options
2020-04-30 02:28:20
Yes, I had the latest version of the app, I just installed today BUT I removed and re-downloaded. I also reset and reconnected. As before all works fine with Kasa in the house but is not discovered with Alexa. The remote control option is very much present and still fails. TP-Link claims it is required to work with Alexa which is why I purchased it in the first place.
Options
2020-04-30 16:42:13

@Teviot 

Try this, factory default the bulb by turning the switch off and on five times. After the fifth time it should blink three times indicating the reset went through.

Now download this upgrade utility: https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201912/20191212/Upgrade%20Instruction.zip

Extract the file and run the .exe file (need a Windows computer), connect your computer to the smart bulb, then select scan on the utility. It should find the bulb where you can update the firmware.

There should also be instructions inside the zip file as well.

Once that is done try to add the bulb again to Kasa.

Options
2020-05-01 00:20:22

@Tony 

The firmware tool worked and I am now at V1.8.11

After re-adding the scheduling in the Kasa app now works, before it flashed an error that it could not sync.

Still I can't enable the Remote Control, it still flashes the message "failed" cloud send cmd failed"

Alexa still can't find the device because the requred Remote Control will not enable.

Thanks for the help

Options
2020-05-01 18:02:37

@Teviot 

When you mentioned the firewall and DNS, did that involve disabling the firewall in the router and also changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8?

What you can also try in the router is to reserve an IP address for the bulb that is outside of your DHCP pool. What can cause the error is either the bulb having an IP conflict with another device or it may be bound to another account. 

If reserving the IP does not help I would recommend reaching out to: kasa.support@tp-link.com

They should be able to check on the back end what may be happening.

Options
2020-05-01 18:02:45

@Teviot 

When you mentioned the firewall and DNS, did that involve disabling the firewall in the router and also changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8?

What you can also try in the router is to reserve an IP address for the bulb that is outside of your DHCP pool. What can cause the error is either the bulb having an IP conflict with another device or it may be bound to another account. 

If reserving the IP does not help I would recommend reaching out to: kasa.support@tp-link.com

They should be able to check on the back end what may be happening.

Options
2020-05-02 00:16:43

@Tony 

Yes, when I disabled the firewall I also used changed the DNS.

I have the bulb on an address outside the DBCP pool on a reserved IP.

Will email kasa.support@tp-link.com and hope for the best.

Thanks!

Options
2020-05-02 02:50:32

@Teviot 

Changed the DNS to cloudfair (1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1) and now all is happy!

No other changes helped.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1031

Replies: 8