OneMesh + RE220 Range Extender compatibility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-05 21:55:06 - last edited 2020-05-05 21:57:05

The capability of the RE220 Range Extender with a OneMesh router (Google OneHub) seems to be so limited, that it hardly seems accurate to describe it as a "mesh network".

I have one RE220 connected to a Google OneHub mesh router via Wifi.  The two devices have the same SSID and password. And the RE220 is in "repeater" mode.

The ONLY thing the RE220 seems to be doing for me is acting as a RANGE EXTENDER and allowing remote devices to connect via a common SSID name.

My Google Wifi app shows the RE220 as a "device" connected to one of four "Wifi points".  If it were REALLY a mesh device, it seems to me that it should appear as a "Wifi point" and dynamically connect to other WiFi poins as they are move to differerent locations.

So, my question is: should I expect my RE220 to be a "WiFi point" in a mesh network, or is just being a range extender with a common SSID all that the RE220 is supposed to do in a "mesh network"?

In other words, is that all it does?

Options
11 Reply
Re:OneMesh + RE220 Range Extender compatibility
2020-05-06 18:31:20

@tgholford 

The RE220 will only act as a mesh extender if it is apart of a OneMesh network containing a OneMesh router: https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/compatibility/

You can not take an OneMesh capable device and combine it with a different manufacturers mesh network, it does not work that way.

So as of now your RE220 is acting like a typical range extender.

Options
2020-05-08 04:50:22

Tony wrote

@tgholford 

The RE220 will only act as a mesh extender if it is apart of a OneMesh network containing a OneMesh router: https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/compatibility/

@Tony 

My understanding is that I can have only one OneMesh router in a network. If I attach multiple Range Extenders to the network, all network traffic must go through the router.  In other words, there are NO alternate paths that go from Range Extender to Range Extender without going through the router.

In other words, it is ONLY a centralized ("star") network.

What makes this a "mesh" network?

Is there a way I can have multiple OneMesh routers that work together to dynamically create paths?  That's my understanding of a mesh.

Options
2020-05-11 17:28:25

@tgholford 

Range extenders are able to connect to each other or to the router. When an OneMesh range extender is being set up it determines which signal is better from either AP and connects to the appropriate one. 

There can only be one OneMesh router so you will need to get multiple OneMesh extenders.

If for some reason you want multiple routers, then you would get the Deco mesh routers which talk amongst themselves, and not with OneMesh.

Options
2020-05-11 19:29:53

@tgholford It sounds like the Deco system may work as a mesh network, But your response regarding the OneMesh network is still not completely clear.

Does traffic from one range extender to another range extender need to pass though a OneMesh router.  If the answer is yes, then that does not seem to be consistent with the definition of a mesh network, where nodes can dynamically create paths that are independent of specific devices.

It still sounds like a OneMesh router connected to one or more OneMesh compatible range extenders is not really a mesh network.

Options
2020-05-13 18:10:49

@tgholford 

In a OneMesh network range extenders do not send all traffic through the router. That is why it is called a OneMesh network. OneMesh range extenders can connect and send traffic to each other.

Options
2020-05-15 00:34:36

Tony wrote

@tgholford 

In a OneMesh network range extenders do not send all traffic through the router. That is why it is called a OneMesh network. OneMesh range extenders can connect and send traffic to each other.

@Tony 

Is there any way to confirm that the mesh network is working as a mesh network?  There doesn't seem to be an obvious way of transmitting traffic from range extender to another range extender without a router being present.  If the router needs to be present then there is no discernable difference between a mesh network and a router network.

Options
2020-12-24 15:54:10

Do you know if RE220 V1 is compatible with OneMesh?

It's not listed within the OneMesh compatibile devices: https://www.tp-link.com/en/onemesh/product-list/?utm_source=spotlight&utm_medium=local&utm_campaign=all

while its userguide (https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/re200&re220/chapter-3-onemesh-with-seamless-roaming#ug-sub-title-1) shows How to Set Up a OneMesh Network.

Thanks in advance.

Options
2021-02-19 21:22:01

@Sergioms   Did you ever get an answer to this question?  

Options
2021-02-19 21:34:19
Nothing, I found several people with the same issue while TP-Link support never replied to anyone.
Options
2021-05-01 23:53:46

@Sergioms I am not clear on some of the responses so my question is the RE220 v1.8 One Mesh compatible or not?

TP-LINK needs to properly update the one mesh device listing and include the actual range cover on all devices in the specs.

Thank you

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4800

Replies: 11