RE650 the Ethernet jack powers on/off the device?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-18 18:38:02
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20190521 Rel. 52591(8583)

I just got this RE650.

I'm using Verizon FiOS and I have their fancy 802.11ax G3100 Wifi 6 router.

I want to use the RE650 for

1) a strong wifi signal in my office

2) a *wired* connection for a 2012 Mac mini (that only has built in 802.11n)

I got the RE650 up and running on the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks.

First, I can't get the Mac mini to recognize the RE650 plugged into it. No idea why that's happening yet. I've tried 2 different cables.

Second, and this is the weird part.

Pushing in the ethernet jack causes the RE650 to power off. Pushing it again causes it to power on.

Note, this is not the familiar ethernet cable "click" you hear when plugging in a network cable.

Imagine you've done that, pushed the ethernet cable in, heard the "click" and then you push again to make sure it's seated.

I hear a very different button click, and all the blue lights on the RE650 go off.

It's as if the unit wasn't built right, and by pushing the ethernet jack, I'm moving the whole unit inside against the casing and it's squeezing the power switch on the other side.

BUT, i'm not touching any other part of the RE650. Just pushing in the ethernet jack, causes this behavior.

Support told me "this is normal because the unit needs to reboot when a device is plugged into the ethernet." That is NOWHERE in the user guide.

Options
2 Reply
Re:RE650 the Ethernet jack powers on/off the device?
2020-05-19 20:06:59

@ndp 

That last statement about the RE needing to reboot does not seem right to me. Connecting the Ethernet port is similar to connecting a cable to a router, where a router does not need to reboot as is the same with an extender.

A bigger issue is how the extender is powering on or off with the Ethernet port. If you connect to the wireless network of the RE650 and that works, then that would tell me the LAN port may be bad on the RE650.

Options
Re:RE650 the Ethernet jack powers on/off the device?
2020-05-19 20:13:27
Thank you for your reply, Tony! oh yes. everything else on the re650 seems to work without a problem. it’s currently extending the network. but if i push in that ethernet jack right now, all the lights will go out. it’s either powering it off or causing a reboot. I wish i could show someone video of this happening. it really does not seem to be normal.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 667

Replies: 2