WiFi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WiFi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WiFi speeds
WiFi speeds
2020-05-20 18:36:12

I set up the TL-WPA4220 KIT as advertised with the adapter, TL-PA4010, plugged into my router and the extender, TL-WPA4220, copying my WiFi settings.

When I test the WiFi speed using my phone near my router I get download speeds of 200-210 Mbps and upload speeds of 75-85 Mbps. When I do the same test near the extender, I get download speeds of 10-15 Mbps and upload speeds of 25-30 Mbps. 

I was expecting these speeds to be close to the same. Is that not the case? Is the WiFi signal coming from the extender expected to be considerably reduced?

On the plus side, I now get a Wifi signal on my patio, which I didn't get before. smiley

Options
3 Reply
Re:WiFi speeds
2020-05-21 17:12:46

@GusW 

The final speed you get will vary due to so many variables. I personally would make the network name different so I know exactly which network I am connecting to, but if you now see signal then you should be seeing the 4220 rather then a weak signal from your router.

Options
2020-05-21 17:58:41

Tony wrote

@GusW 

The final speed you get will vary due to so many variables. I personally would make the network name different so I know exactly which network I am connecting to, but if you now see signal then you should be seeing the 4220 rather then a weak signal from your router.

@Tony 

I'm definitely seeing the 4220 rather than my router, since when I unplug it and do my WiFi speed test, I get around 3-5 Mbps download. With it plugged in, it increases to around 10-15 Mbps, so a clear difference. Also when it is plugged in, I get WiFi on my patio, whereas, when unplugged I don't. So it's working. I'm just surprised that the signal degrades this much, from over 200 Mbps to down around 10 Mbps, a mere 1/20th of the original. Is this unusual, or just par for the course?

Options
2020-05-22 18:20:51

@GusW 

Yes, the quality of the wires, as the signal traverses through the breaker, every bit slows the speed. What you can do is look to get the TL-WPA8630 kit which does a better job sending the powerline signal through your wiring so I would expect better speed (maybe not by much for some improvement). In your case though if the speed you are getting is good enough I would leave it as is.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 452

Replies: 3

Related Articles