Can't get onto the internet with TL sg 1005D switch on both PC"s that I have connected it to.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't get onto the internet with TL sg 1005D switch on both PC"s that I have connected it to.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-18 05:45:37
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: v 9

I have a Netgear CM 500 modem, a Comcast connection & 2 Windows 10 PC's.  I connected one ethernet cord from my modem to the TL switch, & the other 2 ethernet cords to the switch & to each of my 2 PC's.  I can get onto the Internet with one of my 2 PC’s, but not the other.  I tried restarting the PC that had no Internet connection; that did not help.  Likewise, Comcast tried a reset & that did not work.

Could the problem be that I have a modem, not a router?

Any suggestions>?

Thanks,

Mark

Options
5 Reply
Re:Can't get onto the internet with TL sg 1005D switch on both PC"s that I have connected it to.
2020-06-18 18:32:29

@markb1 

The modem is only able to provide internet connection to one device so in order to give internet to multiple devices you want to connect a router to the modem. The TL-SG1005D is only a network switch, and not a router so it is not capable of sharing the one internet connection to multiple devices.

So your setup should end up like this:

modem --- router --- PC1

\--- PC2

A typical wireless router usually has about 4 LAN ports so you can wire your two computers to it. If you need more LAN ports you can wire your switch to the router:

modem --- router --- PC1

|  |   \--- PC2

|  \----PC3

\----- Switch --- PC4

\---- PC5

A router would be something like the Archer A7.

Options
Re:Can't get onto the internet with TL sg 1005D switch on both PC"s that I have connected it to.
2020-06-18 18:47:11

@Tony Thanks, Tony.

Mark

Options
2020-06-18 22:47:59

@Tony One more question, Tony.  The Comcast representative suggested I get a splitter.  Based on what you wrote to me, that would not work.  Am I correct?

Thanks,

Mark

Options
2020-06-19 18:27:21

@markb1 

Definitely not, all you need is a simple wireless router. Since you are mainly going to have a wired network you would not need a router with all the bells and whistles. Just make sure it has gigabit ports which most affordable routers have now.

Options
2020-06-20 07:26:54

@Tony

Thanks, Tony.

Mark 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 672

Replies: 5

Related Articles