Worse performance on AV2 1000mbps compared to AV1 600mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-02 15:56:15
Model: TL-PA7010P KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Hi!

6 months ago or so, I bough a set of 2 TL-PA4010PKIT to connect my home office in my bedroom to the rest of the house. There are ethernet ports in the main room upstairs, about 5m from my room, but there is no easy way to get a cable across the room, so I decided on powerline plugs. I plugged in one of them right next to an ethernet port, and plugged it in, the other one in my bedroom (as said, about 5m away). I paired them, and checked the connection with the utility, and I get 150-200mbps between the plugs. I had an 100mbps fiberline in, and I got a very stable 50-60mbps connection on my laptop (windows 10). My ethernet cabling is 8 years old, and is UTP Cat 5E. 

Now I upgraded to a 250mbps line. I exhanged the switch in my data cabinet to a gigabit switch. My router has a gigabit port. My laptop and docking station have gigabit cards.

When I connect my laptop with a cable to the ethernet port, I get 260mbps (yes, I have a good operator that applies a positive margin) on a broadband speedtest. When I use my TL-PA4010Ps, I get roughly the same values as before, maybe a smidge better, 55-65mbps. I'm not expecting them to go much over that, as they only have a 100mbps port, both in and out.

Sooo... Now I've upgraded to a set of TL-PA7010P-KIT as I expected/hoped the gigabit ports and the up to a gigabit connection would give me significantly higher speeds. So I plugged them in, paired them and tested (so everything else being the same as before) - and get worse results than on the TL-PA4010Ps. The utility shows me increased connection between the TL-PA7010Ps (up to 300mbps compared to up to 200mbps before), but when I do a broadband speedtest, I get speeds between 45 and 55mbps (compared to 55-65mbps for the TL-PA10Ps). All settings are identical, they are plugged in in the same plug, all other hardware is the same. 

How can this be?

Thanks

Koen

Options
1 Reply
Re:Worse performance on AV2 1000mbps compared to AV1 600mbps
2020-07-02 21:22:38

@Dalemunk 

Make sure only the two 7010s are being used and the 4010s are unplugged.

If you see the same speeds, then the outlets being used may only be able to give those speeds. Move the second adapter to different outlets in your residence with your laptop and test.

I would first test in the same room of the adapter just to see what a best-case scenario can give it, but where you want it may be where you get the 50-60 Mbps speed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 590

Replies: 1