Is it best to have the extenders on the same or different channels than my router's wifi?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Is it best to have the extenders on the same or different channels than my router's wifi?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-08 13:52:49
Model: TL-WPA8630 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Is it better to have my extenders wifi on the same channels as my router wifi, or different channels?

I have a new Verizon router, model G3100 made by Arcadyan, and for some reason we are sometimes showing we have wifi but not internet.  I am wondering if they are somehow interfering with each other.  It occurs to me I don't know if if is good to have the extender wifi and router wifi on the same channels or better to have them using different channels.

Any suggestions?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Is it best to have the extenders on the same or different channels than my router's wifi?
2020-07-08 21:21:25

@David-VA 

If you can change the channel which is possible with the powerline Wi-Fi devices, you could. If it would make a difference it would come down to how many other networks are using that channel. The less devices using the same channel makes for less interference that helps the signal go further so I would test it. It may come down that it would not make a difference given the environment or not enough devices broadcasting 2.4GHz using the same channel to affect your router.

Options
Re:Is it best to have the extenders on the same or different channels than my router's wifi?
2020-08-22 12:00:35

@David-VA Different channels is better in the 2.4 GHz frequency - stick to 1, 6 and 11 to avoid partial overlaps. Use a tool such as WiFi Analyser on an Android phone to understand free channels, but ignore recommendations to use channels other than 1, 6 or 11. If there are a lot of channels in use by neighbours, it is better to use the same channel. The reason is that when sharing a channel, the radios take it in turn to broadcast, reducing throughput. However, if they are on different but overlapping channels, this turn taking can't happen and you will get interference which is worse.

Avoid using channel widths over 20 MHz as this increases the chances of interference.

In the 5GHz frequency you may have more options depending where you live, but in general the same rules apply, but with different channels.

TL;DR - if radio spectrum is empty, spread your channels out. If congested, use the same channels.

Options
2020-08-22 14:27:55

@David-VA 

Thanks for input.

I will pass along that for anyone using the 2020 Verizon router, there is a feature called the "Self Organizing Network (SON)".  I found that at least with the powerline extenders connected to the router the SON seemed to cause problems such as poor connection even when in the room the router was in.

I turned off the SON (easiest way was to call Verizon tech support and they can do it remotely).

That significantly improved performance for me.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5986

Replies: 3